Calendar dates unblocking randomly.

Calendar dates unblocking randomly.

Hi, using AirBNB's calendar tool I regularly(daily) experience random days in a period blocked out mysteriously resetting to "available". I have only one listing so wondered if this happens to other hosts' listings and if AirBNB know of an issue and if anyone has a workaround?

Thanks, Andrew

P.S. I don't want to suppress my listing as I have vacancies to fill but from August the whole place is full with family then it gets let out to the University on a shorthold tenancy so it's only available via AirBNB for a few months in summer.

43 Replies 43
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You have probably set you listing to allow guest who arrive in the immediate 3 months to book, so for example all dates from 8th of June for the next 3 months up to 8th September will show as available and dates from 9th September forward will be blocked. Tomorrow your calendar will open up one more date to maintain the 3 months availability so 9th September will become available and so forth; I believe the month is calculated as 30 days to keep things simple.

You can override this by using your snooze option - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-or-deactivate-my-listing

I hope this is of some help,

Ama

Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

This is a known issue, and has happened to several hosts, including me. I blocked off my calendar when I accepted a six-month visitor, but three times random weeks during that six-month period mysteriously became available.

Airbnb apologizes, but it sounds hasn't seemed to be able to solve it yet. The best I can recommend is to be vigilant and check your calendar occasionally. The good news is, you can simply and politely decline any requests that come in for times when you are already booked. (This is another reason why I don't use Instant Book--calendar bugs can be much more troublesome for those who don't book exclusively through Airbnb.)

You can also snooze your listing so it won't be available on search for a period of time when you are not seeking guests through Airbnb, but as you point out, it's not what you need right now.

Don't you find this unacceptable for a company that's entire premise is based on the use of this technology. What's the point of being an Airbnb user if you have to snooze your listing and can't take requests or bookings outside of your blocked dates? I don't use instant book and the problems seem insurmountable at this time, even for the most basic listings. If you receive any more information from Airbnb, please share it. I have yet to hear from any official tech person on this continuing issue but I'm happy to hear that you have had admittance to the problem and aplogies. (I had the contrary; I was told it was my safari browser, but switching to chrome did not help, or the app, or firefox or anything). I've run out of patience on the polite decline... it sounds like an excuse when I blame the calendar problem on Airbnb and I've already had to cancel 2 requests do to this problem, not looking good.

Yes and furthermore I find it extremely scary that a company who is a "tech company" also just published that they will profit from penalties that are newly far more than ever before if there is a double booking. What you are describing will result in income for Airbnb.... if someone happens to get their booking to get confirmed during your blocked time period. Check the upcoming latest changes which take effect Aug 22 where you get penalized a huge amount for cancellations of this nature. 

Precisely!!   I am meticulous with my calendar.  Mysteriously it unblocked prime time ski season on my calendar, which I had blocked because I had a winter rental on my own.   Someone booked (at some low rate that they populated into my calendar) and I'm going to get whacked with a $50 "fine." and stripped of my Superhost because I need to cancel.  I'm disgusted!!!!!  I'm thinking of jumping ship.  ya, I have made money, but there are other options out there.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Happens all the time = we have days and weeks that will randomly unblock and block - we always need to double check the dates when someone makes a request just to ensure we are happy to accept the dates. I have reported it a few times but zero response.

Lara23
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

I just had someone book a night that was supposed to be blocked. There doesn't seem to be any way to keep my calender blocked when it's supposed to be blocked. I don't have time to check it every single day. I have turned off Instant Booking to fix the problem but this is so strange and makes Air BnB almost impossible to use! 

Rosalind3
Level 1
Vienna, Austria

We have the same problem. A week in September, blocked by us, has twice now made itself 'available'. This conversation has been very helpful but it's disturbing to hear that it's been such a problem for some.

I am having the same problem. I thought it was my Google calander at fault.  With intante booking and random un-blockings I am suppriesed there are any Super Hosts.  I had a Intant Book after a walk in guest and it cost me my super host status for one year.  Ouch

Eric84
Level 1
New York, NY

I have also experienced issues with availability on my calendar being randomly opened up by AirBnB despite being explicitly blocked off?  Each time I have to regretfully decline the request, because my apartment won't be available after a certain date. Several times I've gone back into my calendar and explicitly blocked off all dates from 8/1 - 12/31, but random chunks keep opening back up.

The current set that just opened up are not even a contiguous lump: 9/7/2016 & 9/12-9/14/2016.

Has anyone gotten an answer from AirBnB about the issue?

Thanks,

Eric C

Brooklyn, NY

I had this problem for the first time the other day.  I can't figure out how to contact Airbnb.  They posted my "cancellation" and said that if I cancelled again they could freeze my account.  I only cancelled cause they unblocked my dates and then instant booked.  

Jan53
Level 2
Boston, MA

This happens to me ALL the time. I'm almost at my wit's end. I have this problem, CONSISTENTLY, no matter how many times or how many different browsers I've been told to change to. Happened yet again today. (which is why I'm back here trying to find some help again). My listing should be blocked from mid June through mid October and I only know it opens up randomly because I'll get a request from someone and then I'll have to explain for the umpteenth time that the calendar is unblocking randomly. Per my previous posts in "the community" I've re-saved preferences using Chrome, the Airbnb app itself, etc. etc. and nothing seems to matter. I want my case elevated to an Airbnb Technician but haven't had any luck with that either.

Kathryn38
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

I have been using Airbnb for a moth now and have done many bookings already as a host.    I have blocked out Dec and Jan as I don't know what pricing increase to do yet.
I have now received an instant book for the 31st of December which is blocked out!     $100 for new years eve in the middle of Sydney!!!
How are others handling this?     I need to cancel this booking obviously but I don't want to be penalised and definatley don't want the date to be blocked out by Airbnb because I cancelled.

Susan200
Level 1
Yardley, PA

This just happened to me.  I blocked off a week when I was due to have guests, but today received a booking from a guests who booked based on my calendar availability.  What's worse is that I had to cancel the reservation and am now facing a penalty for cancellation! What should I do?