Cancellation mid-stay

Cancellation mid-stay

Hello.

My guest is currently mid-stay (he has booked for 37 nights) and he is talking about  wanting to leave early ( maybe 7 days early) for business reasons. It is clear that he is hoping for some money back. My cancellation policy is 'Strict': at this late stage it is unlikely I'll find another guest for a week. Please can someone advise me...I do not want to fall out with him...he's been a good guest to date and

is most likeable. I have already indicated that I will be guided by Airbnb's mediation service over this situation.

Thanks

Lucienne

14 Replies 14
Rebecca54
Level 2
Pecos, NM

If you're cancellation policy is set on strict, he really should've taken note of that! Maybe you can give him one night back, just to make him less reactionary.

Hello Rebecca, thanks for your prompt response. How do I set about doing that exactly? I know that I must not cancel as I'll get penalised. Should I just refer him to the resolution centre? Of course I haven't actually received all the monies yet as Airbnb only pay out in 30 day chunks it seems. Thanks.

Hi Lucienne, For a respectful and likeable guest, I would refund the difference. You could, however, compromise by letting him know that you will refund any days you are able to book the room. Because you post a discount on weekly stays, won't you get a higher daily fee for those days? You can also increase your chances of booking them by giving a discount--we do this because we'd rather have some of the income than none of it. Hope this contributes to your decision process.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.

Hello Fiona, thank you for your suggestions. Am I right in thinking I should ask him to get the ball rolling by mailing airbnb and saying he wants to cancel from (whenever) then airbnb will get back to me with the request? The problem is I'm not sure *exactly* what he is paying each day as I activated Smart pricing for the period and that now doesn't show up on my calendar. Also Airbnb's operations are largely automated so I'm not sure what might be available to me by way of granting a partial refund/goodwill gesture.

Thanks for your help.

Lucienne

PS. Also I read somewhere in the policies on the Airbnb site that if a guest cancels mid-stay they have to leave immediately...? is this so?

Thanks

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lucienne2  Please continue to familiarize yourself with the Air BNB policies as you don't want to make a costly mistake.  Most new hosts (myself includede) make mistakes around the cancellation process.  Let the guest know the procedure for cancelling and advise that Air BNB will be guided by the cancellation policy.  Should the guest wish to appeal to Air BNB for a refund there is a process for that.  Meanwhile your calendar is opened and the dates become available.  Don't promise anything to the guest, but should the dates become booked you can initiate a refund. 

When a guest stays with you for such a long time, you can't help but feel a sense of friendship, but please remember this is a businsess.

Hi Linda.

, thanks for your advice. Yes, i've had experience of cancellation before but never mid-stay. Every case is different! I haven't promised anything just sent him the following note -

"We are a little concerned today about your mention of leaving early for residential and business reasons and your possible expectation of some sort of refund. We'd like to help if we can but I'd just like to remind you that our AirBnb cancellation policy is 'Strict' and under their terms this means that you will be liable for the full 37 days. I'm sure you will understand that letting our 'Lodge' constitutes an important part of our income and that we are not in a position to be wholly flexible. In the first instance however, if you are planning to leave early it is in your best interests to talk to AirBnb yourself. I am unable to advertise the space for another guest until you actually cancel as it is only AirBnb who can unblock my calendar. Of course if we were able to find another guest (unlikely I have to tell you at such short notice) we would be only too happy to refund the nights that we can re-let the space. I suggest that you seek advice from AirBnb. I hope this helps"

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

Your strict cancellation policy actually only covers stays of upto 27 days

28 days or more fall under the long term cancellation policy...see link above.

The guest isn't entitled to any refund in this case, but unless you decide personally to refund via the resolution service - if you have good will or perhaps if you can rerent the room.

Thank you Elena, I've just re-read the Long Term  policy and understand it better now. 

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I've done a few of these over the last 5 years hosting. I would have handled this a bit differently. 30 out of 37 days is completing more than 80% of his stay. I would have clicked the "Change or Cancel" under his reservation and then selected "Change" and changed his date of departure and given him a partial refund (the "Change" option lets you change both the dates and the price). He then has to accept the change for it to go into effect.

He could do the same thing himself but he might propose a refund you are not happy with. Do the change yourself and you control the variables. If he does not accept the change you propose, then the reservation goes ahead as is and he gets nothing back.  Cancelling is a brut force approach and will likely leave bad feelings and a poor review.

James, this is REALLY helpful. You've described the 'mechanics' of a solution. Thanks very much. I haven't dismissed entirely the idea of a partial refund myself or with him.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My take on this is different from other host responses.. If he's cancelling for business reasons, his business will pay for this stay not him and will have insurance or can write it off. If he is self-employed he will be charging the client for the accommodation. In either case he won't be out of pocket, so please don't feel you have to refund him.

Simply let BnB process his cancellation. 

Why should you be out of pocket, when he won't be.

Hi Helen, thanks for your comments. They are helpful. As it has turned out he has cancelled the reservation after 30 days (it was 37 days) so as I have just understood from the Airbnb site he will not be liable for the remaining 7 days since it is the "Long term Cancellation" policy that applies and NOT the "Strict" policy. At least my calendar should be opened up and I might get another guest which would compensate. Thanks to all.