Considering becoming Hosts

Considering becoming Hosts

Hello, we are still considering becoming host. We have a guest house on our property that sits empty and we thought it might be a good way to bring in some extra income.  Can anyone shed some light on any experience you've had staying at home in your main house while renting a room or basement or a separate structure for ABNB?  Do you guys recommend not being home when guest are there or is it ok as the two structures are about 35-40ft apart.  We're nervous but really want to try this!  Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

4 Replies 4
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @MItel0! Having been an in-house Airbnb Host myself, I personally think that it is totally fine to Host guests whilst you're also on the premises. Just make sure that you have rules in place to avoid miscommunications :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@MItel0  Actually I think that's the ideal setup for an Airbnb rental:  the guests have all the privacy of a self-contained home, but also benefit from the warmth of in-person hospitality and having the host conveniently available if any issues come up. Plus, you're far less likely than remote hosts to experience the house being abused as a party venue, brothel, drug den etc.  Even if you ultimately choose to rent the space out when you're not at home, I'd still recommend having a co-host who lives nearby and can attend to any emergencies and keep an eye on the place.

If the property has any shared areas where you might encounter guests (driveway, yard, etc) it's best to be explicit about this is the listing. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@MItel0  Our space is in our backyard and as @Anonymous mentions there are several advantages. There are also pitfalls (not about being on property together, but just w abb in general). So I’d read here for a few days & then decide

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@MItel0 

It's one of the best things I have ever done. I host in a cottage that is in the rear garden of our house block.

I don't have to have any interaction with my guests, yet I am there if they need anything. And many times great experiences and personal friendships come out of nowhere, just simply by hosting.

If there is a downside, you do feel like a bit of a prisoner in your own space, you have to respect the fact that the guest does not want to live in your life and their privacy needs to be respected. They are paying for it and they are entitled to it. Some areas of your property go from being your own private domain to being a shared environment....you can't just drop a f*rt when you feel like it.

But the money is good and even better is the fact that you don't have to chase it....it automatically appears in your account a few day after the guest arrives.

Also living on the property means you tend to bypass those types of guests who want to indulge in activity you would not permit....stage parties, trash your property....you are on hand to keep an eye on things.

Mitel, I would recommend you go for it but, before you do, spend some time here and get to learn the sort of issues a host has to face. Become confident that you will be able to handle the odd situation that may come out of left field. 

Cheers........Rob