Damage to rating

Damage to rating

Just wondering what would be more damaging to a host's rating - to allow a request to expire or to decline a reservation request?

Due to the harsh nature of our area, I always talk with guests before accepting their request to make sure they understand where they will be, and certain requirements (they must have a car, etc.). All this information is on the listing but often people will make a request without reading any of the details.

Sometimes it turns out that they aren't suited to our place and that is fine. I decline their offer and we can all go on our way. I have realized, however, that declining guests hurts my rating. So, too, does letting the request expire. Guests sometimes don't withdraw the request on their side so whatever I do, it seems I am losing.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I looked at the listing, @Claire386, and I think you can deter unsuitables in a more efficient way early on in the description. The idea is to weed them out before they even get to the booking stage. I wouldn't let any requests expire. Rather decline, or accept with conditions, letting them know they can cancel penalty free within 48 hours if what you propose is not suitable for them. Guests do not always read listings very well and edit the text tightly so it is shorter but more poignant.

I agree with @Sandra126 

If you are having a recurring issue with guests, it's not them, it's you.
You have to put the important info "above the fold".
When I look at your place what jumps out is "cozy cottage".
Say something about the access in the first lines.

And say something about requiring responses to your messages for the booking to be confirmed.

All the best good luck!

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Claire,

If I wish to Decline a Reservation Request, I initially send an explanation why I can't accommodate and kindly request the Guest rather 'Cancel' the RR. 

It tends to work in most cases, so I rarely have to Decline.

Letting an RR expire affects Response Rate and Response Time. 

Hello! Having the guest cancel their RR is what I have learned to do as well but I am looking for confirmation that it doesn’t affect host ratings … hard to find this anywhere online … 

@Patricia1548  Affect what host ratings? You mean your stats? Why would it? A guest is free to withdraw a request whether a host suggests they do so or not, so I don't understand what you think it might affect?

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

IMO - coming from my work as web marketing expert familiar with how the algorithms work - it's really better if you don't decline.
They have spent a ton of money on web advertising to bring the guest to land on your page, then actually book.  They pay per click and analyse each step of the conversion funnel.  If the guest got that far and then you cancel, regardless of whether you are "officially" penalized, you can be sure the algorithm will penalize you.
So try to communicate with the guest and have them retract their booking.
I'm not working at Airbnb so I don't know for sure but intuitively I would think it's better to let it expire (while actively trying to reach out to the guest) than to decline.