Day 37 Farewell to 2020 and also to my first ABB space!

Karen2391
Level 4
Pensacola, FL

Day 37 Farewell to 2020 and also to my first ABB space!

Farewell to 2020 and to my first ABB project….

And HELLO to the 2021 and a NEW Airbnb project!

At the tail end of the year, we sold the home where I opened my first space three and a half years ago. Like the year itself, saying goodbye to it was of fair impact. She was just a sweet little suite, spun up from simple/thrifted treasures into golden guest amenities and experiences. There, I imagined and then outright created, a dreamspace for travelers and lovers and workers and loners alike. Countless hours of vision and toil passed there, before that first family did so. I sold her with all her furnishings and decorations to a similar family, (who intended only to live in the home) such was her charm for my guests, and I am proud to have offered her for their Airbnb experience. I am close by still, and I rode my bike by last night and there are kids on that cute patio I made under the carport, texting their friends and sharing phone music and there’s a sign out front for a wine tasting party that the parents must be having tonight. Some of my stuff isn’t there on the patio and it hurts just a bit. Looks like they’re staying for awhile : )

But ever onward, right-o?! I plan to live that out well and truly in 2021, as I not only carry on with my other space, a cottage around the corner in its second year of guesting, but I am solemnly and happily (can you be both?) undertaking the creation of a new Airbnb space for a side-quest as a co-host. So, I’m back to toiling away at visions again, back to imagining the motions and sensations of a body at rest, play (and teleworking….) in this new scene I will set. This is for me, at my age, vital. This new, this fresh, it is the horizon I can look towards and watch grow bright again. Apparently, we humans like this kind of sunrise-like living, or at least I do….apparently.

I hope my friend’s home is as blessed as mine was. I hope it hosts mothers who visit their children in military training and at college. I hope it snuggles the newlyweds who only leave for more food. I hope it hears lots of laughter and sees lots snazzy outfits. I hope it provides comfort and memories. And I hope it somehow appeals to every guest intimately and uniquely with its singular welcome, like my other spaces, here now or now gone. 

Here’s to the farewells that face us for the horizons that grace us! Happiest of times and hosting to all!

11 Replies 11
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Karen2391 and congrats on your new co-hosting role! Do you have any photos of your new listing? 

I know that feeling of seeing someone else in your old place - super strange, but also good to see someone making a home there 😊

Sarah3723
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

What a wonderful account of your journey as a host! I find it very inspiring, being a new host myself. I hope to turn my little thrifted vintage apartment into a chic destination space over time. Do you have a blog? You write beautifully!

I do not blog, but that is a high compliment and I thank you sincerely. I do love to word-weave : )

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your lovely journey with us @Karen2391! It's great to see you're ready to face your new challenge with so much positivity 😊 best of luck.

I'm also really curious to see pictures, would you be able to show us some? 👀

Thanks for the kind words, really! The new space is not yet ready for her closeup, not by a coastal mile, but I’m smiling that anyone even cares to be curious, thanks again! 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's so sweet, @Karen2391 😊

No problem, I can definitely wait!

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Karen2391  absolutely love your description of the guests & experiences you hope are hosted at your friends home, as this is what I want for our Airbnb. So cleverly written!

Thank you so much for appreciating my style! Looks like it’s your style too! Top o’ the year to ya!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Your writing @Karen2391 is smooth and very gentle and easy on the mind - thank you.

I  like the the visualisation and ability to host and make change: for that is what we do with each guest. 💐

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing @Karen2391 , hope the new year brings new, joyful adventures your way 🙂 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

All the best for your new adventures @Karen2391 .

Have you considered dropping a line to the new owners of your previous home you were guardian of and suggest that any treasures they may not wish to keep are passed back on to you or to charity?

I'm sure the new guardians will hopefully understand the importance of them.

Have you found any treasure chest tucked away in your new home or garden?