De-Listing without explanation ?

De-Listing without explanation ?

Received an automated email that my property will be delisted on a certain date because of hospitality standards and/or terms and conditions. 

I made an enquiry to understand what this was all about, and an email came through to me 2 days later merely saying that checks have been done and that the delisting cannot be undone. 

Important to note that every single review ( I now have 20 ) has had 4.5 stars and above, and not a single guest has made a complaint to me nor airbnb. I know this as airbnb customer services have confirmed this to me. 

QUESITON: has anyone else experienced this bizarre and unjust encounter ???

41 Replies 41
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

This is all very interesting as STRs are  completely illegal in San Francisco but there are thousands of listings. It is time Abnb insisted on compliance with local laws and then things would be clear.

Hi @Amy38, STRs are not illegal in San Francisco.  They are regulated.  Listings that are registered (required by law) include an STR-number.

Sorry, I was misinformed.  However, what is Abnb doing about the ones that aren't registered.  My city has 1100 legal STRs, but Abnb features 2,000 listings. 

Yasmin5
Level 1
Denmark, Australia

Recently I had a lady who had booked just 1 night cancel. Then just prior to a long weekend when I was full I got an Automatic booking instead of enquiry. I explained I was already booked. AirBnB sent me an email saying I would have to pay a cancelation fee and this would be taken out of my commission. they also said I would be suspended and have to apply again. I got only $150 out of 3 nights at $165pn. I have just had a couple stay who showed me they had been charged my $150 (no GST) but the email I got said $135 less fees. Again I have been ripped of.

What can we do about this?

I am a single person who works hard to make a living off my registered business and when the big players take your money and dont pay and you incur the costs of providing food, linen, heating etc this is NOT fair. I have tried many times to contact AirBnB and received no reply and cant find a number to call anybody. Any suggestions?

Yasmin

Australia

[Personal information hidden]

Beryl1
Level 1
Groveland, CA

I live a few miles from Yosemite National Park in California, and I have been delisted without any notification -- I just had to figure it out for myself when I got not one request to book for Labor Day, the second biggest tourist weekend of the year.

I called AirBnB and was told by a rep that he sees no reason why this happened, but yes, it happened.  I too am a Superhost who evidently got two "low" scores in July, but when I called and asked what the reason was for these low scores  -- it sure didn't show in my reviews -- I was told emphatically that that was not information that he could divulge.

I am 68 and disabled, and I do all the cleaning myself for large rental, and it takes every ounce of energy I have. But I always have more requests to book than I can accept. Suddenly -- nothing.  Why?  No reason.  The rep said it was a "computer thing," but that's ridiculous. 

I was planning on taking a vacation from ABnB after Labor Day anyway, but the hardest thing about making money this way is always waiting for the other shoe to fall.  I do everything to follow all their rules and timetables, have happy guests, but it is just never enough and I seem to be constantly groveling either to guests and to AirBnB to keep the money coming in.   I spend a lot of money stocking food and fresh flowers, and my energy bill has doubled from $165 to $360 (it includes a hot tub which costs a lot of money to heat and keep sparkly).  I was ecstatic about ABnB at first, and I have met many truly wonderful people, but this is the second time my listing has disappeared without any explanation, and the first time it took me more than a month to get it back, and I was upset and demoralized the entire time.

This is not the way I want to spend the last years of my life.  When ABnB works, it's wonderful, but when it doesn't, it's terrible, like having a relationship with a bipolar person (which I've experienced).   Does anyone else feel like this?

Hi Beryl,

I was de-listed also and had 700 positive reviews on Airbnb. I differ a little from yourself in that I operate a registered hotel. I want to escalate this issue and if possible bring together as many individuals as possible and then plan a class action lawsuit suing for loss income and possible damage to my reputation. You, I and others have spent sometimes years developing a good image on Airbnb and perhaps even solely depended upon them for our income and then to have all mysteriously and callously destroyed is not morally acceptable and I doubt if legally also.  Perhaps we can network more with other hosts and then formulate a good stratigy to gain back our loses and insure this doesnt happen again. The airbnb people just don't give a **bleep** what they have done you and me. It's time to give them a wake up call.

Chris 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris271 every country has different laws

i had to sign never to sue ABB in their new terms and conditions we all got them 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Beryl1 I feel sorry for what has happened to you but try Twitter it's good for replies from airbnb

As a mere host may I suggest dear Beryl that you may be spending too much

im a florist and fresh flowers are an unnecessary expense a couple of indoor trees or plants would last and be cheaper also surely you only need to buy tea and coffee maybe cereal and your guests buy any other foods. With a revised business plan you could respectfully reduce your costs and your   Listing price????good luck. sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your suggestion that I spend less money on extras. I do plan to do that, but I still feel that it's worth the cost, and a small bouquet of fresh carnations for $4 (they last an entire week) is also a worthwhile expenditure.  But I have been known to go overboard :), trying to make my guests' experience luxury in the forest.  I've raised my prices considerably and discovered I get a much better class of people, and of course make more money while still being competitive for what my guests receive.

Happy Holidays!

Beryl

Chris271
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi Jason,

I have a registered hostel in Midtown and opened 30 units with Airbnb starting this March. Until August 1st I had over 700 positive reviews and was very highly rated on the site. In our hostel/hotel we maintain guests security by keeping 24 hour survalince that monitor only the public areas as do every other hotel in NY. One guest complained that she thought the camera could see in to her room and Airbnb immediately shut me down. I wrote several e-mails and called them hundreds of times and got no satisfactoy response other than it is against their policy to allow video devices in host facilties. 

I am consideringbtaking legal action against them. Maybe there are a few more unfortunate good hosts like you and I that can join us in a class action law suit?

Sincerley, Chris 

Have you asked them more on why this was happening?

[link removed]

Sarah701
Level 1
Dullingham, United Kingdom

I find I have just been de listed with absolutely no explanation......

Is there any way to talk to a real person?