De-Listing without explanation ?

De-Listing without explanation ?

Received an automated email that my property will be delisted on a certain date because of hospitality standards and/or terms and conditions. 

I made an enquiry to understand what this was all about, and an email came through to me 2 days later merely saying that checks have been done and that the delisting cannot be undone. 

Important to note that every single review ( I now have 20 ) has had 4.5 stars and above, and not a single guest has made a complaint to me nor airbnb. I know this as airbnb customer services have confirmed this to me. 

QUESITON: has anyone else experienced this bizarre and unjust encounter ???

41 Replies 41
Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Fiona0 - I'm in Brighton which like Bournemouth is a University City attracting students and a seaside City attracting tourists. Our Council have not become involved in any airbnb issues as they are very pro any activities that encourage tourism as well as pro residents earning income and contributing to the good name of the City, supporting retailers etc, and creating jobs.

Airbnb may have caused traditional bnbs to up their game - which is no bad thing, likewise hotels - none of whom have raised any issues with locals offering airbnb rooms or apartments. Prospective hotel/trad bnb/ ABB Guests choose by own preference, which is not always price driven as airbnb spaces are often higher price than a hostel or mediocre bnb.

I have not heard about the 90 day limit rule - perhaps that is a City Council by City Council thing which neither Brighton nor Bournemouth have imposed.

Fingers crossed we'll both remain safe from red tape brigade

Kim15
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

This is insane!

The exact same thing happened to me, no explanation. I have been chasing 'JULIAN' the representative who wrote to me who is based in the States, and despite them saying he will "call me back" he obviously is not.

Please see my post. I intend to create a large petition for all these unjust deactivation and complain to the headquarters and whatever other bodies that are there to protect our rights !

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kim15,

Lovely to meet you. I am really sorry to say, but for safety reasons I would not recommend you post personal details such as your email address here, as this is publically visible. I have therefore removed this from your post. I hope you understand my reason for having to remove this. 

Thank you, Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

They have done a few rounds of de-listing in NY. In 2014 when the Attorney General asked for the hosts information and now in 2016 when there was a meeting with the NY City Council. 

I imagine Airbnb's lawyers are dictating the matter of what to say to hosts. Have you not heard of Brian's Chesky's compliance blog post?

Our Commitment to Cities

can any of you who were de listed tell me if you were paying taxes, doing tot reports and had a business licesence??   thanks Denise SB

Same experience here, i received an email in January giving notice for delisting of one of my 2 flats and i immediately contacted airbnb customer service. They told me it was a scam and put it in writing. Early February both flats have been delisted with no reason, I am short of becoming a superhost and have great reviews.

It is now a daily follow up that i have with a case manager who apparently escalated the matter with the american quality team. I am told that there have been a number of delisting and that within few days the quality team has come back to previous enquiry. I read from other posts that they have not.

Airbnb should not respond of the legal position of the hosts in front of their local authorities but as others have noted this is just speculation till someone clarifies what is happening.

I started to look on the internet as this does not sound promising and there are other short rental platforms.

At least till they reply there is a plan B

I had the same Experience idedntical .. 

I notice that most of you who are seeing this are in the UK.  I suspect it has something to do with a bylaw. I agree you deserve and explantion from Airbnb. 

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

In my town we've just received news that an ordinance was passed making this type of short term rentals illegal.   So now we know, and I will adjust my business to conform to the law.  As is being said here, Airbnb has declared that they will uphold the laws, so that's what they are doing in London, and probably will start doing in my neck of the woods if hosts don't voluntarily comply.   This is a huge blow to my business, but I knew the risks and took them, now I have to come up with a new plan.     So I am bothered by all of this, but accept it.  

What I am not accepting is that Airbnb doesn't have a clear way to deal with this other then the disingenuous sounding email about "hospitality standards" if they are not saying exactly what standards are not being met.   Why don't they simply say "You are listing three entire space units which is not allowed under local law and you didn't shut them down so we are shutting them down for you".  Be black and white about it, then let your Customer Support department know what is going on and let them also reply in clear terms.   It seems like part of the issue is  the intential confusion that Airbnb is causing, and then compounding it by not having the support team know what's going on, so they are thinking, is it a  hoax, is it a spam letter, is it a mistake?

I think that they have every right to shut down certain listings but they should be clear about what they are doing and give the hosts that have made them lots of money and allowed them to become a billion dollar industry the benefit of an honest answer.

Tim8
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Yup!
Andy13
Level 1
New York, NY

I too was de-listed and I am a SUPER HOST with amazing review, 185 all excellent.  The worst part is No one in the airbnb company, my business partner, can explain why or will even call me back.   My De-listing happened back in November 2015.  ITs now March 4th 2016.  I stil have empty promises of "someone getting back to me" from the company.  

I have bookings until Late Auguest 2016 and now what do I do?  Guests can't find their listings and think NYC is shutting down which I am beginning to think they may be correct.  This is not looking good .. Pleaese any info anyone can answer would be very helpful

Cheers

I was delisted a week ago. I have a beautiful two family home in Clinton Hill Brooklyn which I live in and have been hosting on the upper level and ground level for 3 years. I have all excellent reviews and have given a lot of work and attention to ensuring that guests have a wonderful stay. I have been calling for several days with the same brush off. As hosting is an important part of my livelyhood, I am furious at being delisted abruptly with no explanation and find Airbnb's approach completely underhanded and disrepectful. Has anyone had a positive outcome and been relisted?

Hi Tatiana,

had the same happen to me after 700 postive reviews.

I am very interested going forward with a class action lawsuit for loss of revenue. 

If you are interested let's talk.

Chris [phone number removed]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried talking to them about this via their social media - you get a much faster response.

What concerns me about BnB is that they don't seem to see hosts as partners but rather a service provider they impose conditions and changes on without discussion. They don't even have the courtesy to provide a response when challenged. Completely arrogant.

Sorry for the slightly off topic rant .

Helen

Hi Andy,

I was de-listed also and had 700 positive reviews on Airbnb. I differ a little from yourself in that I operate a registered hotel. I want to escalate this issue and if possible bring together as many individulas as posible and then plan a class action lawsuit suing for loss of income etc. Perhaps we can network more with other hosts and then formulate a good stratigy to gain back our loses and insure this doesn't happen again. The airbnb people just don't give a **bleep** what they have done you, I and others. It's time to give them a wake up call.

Chris [phone number removed]

Sorry, recent this this because I noticed made a few spelling mistakes