Does this sound legit?

Filip27
Level 1
Oakville, Canada

Does this sound legit?

I wanted to write a quick post about this as I've never dealt with renting longterm via airbnb. 

I am currently looking to rent an apartment long term in Germany. I found one that I like on a real estate website (immobilenscout24). It turns out that the owner of this property is out of the counrty for work and has left all documents and keys for the apartment with a local airbnb agent/host.

In order for me to see the apartment (prior to renting) he has asked me for my personal info which he will forward to airbnb and said that airbnb will contact me with an invoice for first months rent + deposit for the apartment.

I immediately questioned him... "Why send money before even seeing the apartment". I have not yet commited to renting it, just asked to see it. He said that this is what the airbnb policy requires.

As per the owner, once the deposit is sent I will then meet with an airbnb agent and will get to see the apartment. In the event that I refuse to rent the apartment I will receive a full refund by airbnb.

Does this sound legit?

Thanks,

Filip

2 Replies 2
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Filip27

Filip it is a common scam. Nothing to do with airbnb and airbnb is only mentioned to add a veneer of credibility to the scam.

In a nutshell, it is a criminal who wants you to wire them money - so beforehand they will tell you any old baloney to soften you up.

Do yourself a favour . walk away from this one and look for a place on a reputable website which offers you protection.

I thought so, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks Elena!