Extra Guest Fees

Extra Guest Fees

We charge extra for +1 guests.  The fee is nominal however we frequently get guests that 'game' the system to save money by claiming only (1) guest.  I believe AirBnB should have a drop down before completing the reservation that says, "Please confirm the number of guests in your party.  Failure to provide the correct number of guests is against AirBnB policy and can result in the cancellation of this reservation, the suspension of your AirBnB account or the expulsion from the AirBnB community."  

35 Replies 35
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alice-And-Jack0,

It is a good idea to make guests aware of the fact they have to provide the right number of guests. In this community are too many posts about guest failing (deliberly or unknowing) to enter the right figures. But your solution seems to me a little bit "threatening", but some alert in the booking form would be great !

Best regards,

Emiel

Emiel:  Right after I wrote this suggestion another guest did the same thing.  I had to spend 30 minutes getting the alteration worked out.  Last week another guest did the same and as usual I wrote the following note:  "<Guest>:  We noticed from the note below that <second guest> will be joining you on your trip.  Just so you know, we charge an extra fee for two guests vs. one guest to cover our cleaning, utilities etc. costs.  Also AirBnB is fairly strict on this issue due to their insurance coverage for each guest.  As a result, we will be sending you an alteration for the reservation that will slightly increase the price to cover <Second Guest>.  Thanks, XXXX" 

Emiel, I only asked for an additionl $30 US.  He waited until he checked out and then sent the following "I am only going to give you $10, because I don't think the additional utilities justify it." 

I agree my message may seem threatning but I am tired of guests gaming the system and the platform allowing them to do so without penalty.

I totally agree with you, i also have felt on more than one occasion, Airbnb seems to be more "pro-guest" than pro-host.  they fail to realize without us "host" there would be no Airbnb. guests get away with quite a bit. the fact that they are not even obligated to provide a profile pic is absurd. i'd like to see whom I'm renting to. i have a full time job so most of the times, pretty much all the time i do not get to greet my guests. I would at minium ike to see a pic.

I must be bitchier than some of you! Ha ha

I've held people at the door while we sort out payment and guest count. At worst, I make sure I'm paid before the last night of their visit. Once they've checked out you have no leverage.

That guest was a jerk. No different than ordering off a clearly priced menu and then saying "I don't think filet mignon should cost $70. I'm only paying $20." In my state it falls under theft of services or defrauding an innkeeper.

A small correction, according to Airbnb terms & conditions (see below), a guest can invite ANYONE they wish into your home, and do not require host permission (look for the word “invitee”)

https://www.airbnb.ca/terms/host_guarantee?locale=en

This is absolutely ridiculous that Airbnb would allow friends of guest in your home. This needs to be changed!     

Hello, I see the definition of the word "invitee." I did not see your interpritation of it.

I have in my policy, the terms and condition under which a guest can bring someone to the house. Morever, I have to approve it. How can they NOT require host permission? It is your house, and guest are to read and agree to the rules BEFORE booking. The day I learn what you say to be true, I would leave AIRBNB 5 minutes after.

I think you're misreading what "Invitee" means.

They define:

Invitee” means a person invited to be present at a Covered Accommodation by a Responsible Guest.

Responsible Guest” means the Guest who booked your Covered Accommodation for the period during which you incurred the Covered Losses.

So a "Responsible guest" books my place for 4-people. The other 3 are "Invitees" and still covered under Airbnb insurance. Now it's true that I know nothing about those 3 people and they literally could be "anyone", but that's not the same as "a guest can bring an unlimited number of "Invitees" without permission".

YOU set the max occupancy for your listing and fee structure for extra guests. YOU set your house rules for who is allowed in your property.

There is one loophole, which is unregistered guests/visitors. You close that loophole by having a house rule "No unregistered guests on the property".

See this section of TOS:

8.1.3 If you book a Host Service on behalf of additional guests, you are required to ensure that every additional guest meets any requirements set by the Host, and is made aware of and agrees to these Terms and any terms and conditions, rules and restrictions set by the Host.

So specify in your house rules that only registered guests are allowed on the property and that you require all guest names. With this you should have everything you need to cancel an entitled crazy person who thinks they can bring 8 people when they booked four.

Thanks Allison, great suggestion! I've updated my listings to include this language. 

i believe it means a guest invited by the actual guest that booked. thank you. i will now change my rules to "invitees" myst be registered 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Alice-And-Jack0  I've had this happen 2 times at a rate of 25 bookings.  I sent an amendment request both times after sending a casually worded "Oh dear!  You seem to have miss-clicked and only booked for 1 guest, but your message shows you intend to bring more people!  It's no problem at all, just let me know how many guests you are bringing so I can amend your booking and charge the correct amount."

The first time the guest tried to argue with me and say that my nightly price was impilied to cover the entire place. I held my ground, politely and respectfully, and pointed out that the additional fees were quite clear, as was the number of guests box.

The second time they had made a genuine mistake and were apologetic, so I've learned that the casually worded initial message is better... it's hard to recover from an accusatory one I think.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Occasionally, it is a language barrier.  I had someone book for 1 guest, but 2 people intended to stay.  

The conversation went something like this:

Me: There are 2 of you, but you have booked for only one person.

Him (confused): Yes, 2 people.  (points to himself)  I book me.  (points to his friend) 1 Guest.

Me: (explains how it works)

Him: (understands and changes his reservation to 2 guests)

They were absolutely wonderful guests and have returned for a third time.

@Terri38, This made me laugh!  Thank you!

Pina40
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Exactly what I said to Airbnb. I think it's the only way to avoid inaccurate guest information. People who write the software for these programs never have to use them and they don't know what the end user does. I have sent feedback on this very same subject more than once. I hope they will do something about it. Until then I have added to my description to be accurate about how many guests will be staying in hopes that they will read it and can not say they did not know.