Food on the bed - Private Room

Claribel8
Level 2
San Bruno, CA

Food on the bed - Private Room

Do you allow guests to eat food in a private room? If so, do you provide a table, or let them eat on the bed. New to Airbnb, and I automatically assumed people would be careful in a home vs. a hotel but I just had my first guest who left a few sunflower seeds on the floor and candy wrappers. I then see a dollar coin size spaghetti stain near the nightstand and small grape stains on the sheets. On closer inspection I see that they took the corner of the sheet off and place a towel underneath (maybe to cover up a spill) but then staining my mattress protector in the process. Then I look in the dirty hamper and they took extra clean bed sheets I had for the next guest and used them too. And this sheets are all new. I understand that there will be wear and tear on the sheets and I will eventually always need to be replacing them put I literally bought them last week.

Is this a one time thing? Or is this common behavior?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claribel8  I do find evidence that my guests have eaten in their private room, even though they have full use of my kitchen. Mostly snacky stuff like cookies, an apple, etc, which I see the remnants of in the waste basket. But I've never had a guest eat anything messy in there and stain the bedding or towels. If you don't allow kitchen use, then guests will be more likely to eat more major food than a piece of fruit or a candy bar in their room, but I'm not suggesting you allow it, many hosts have found that problematic, altho my guests have always cleaned up after themselves well in the kitchen.

Is there any space in your private room for a small bistro table and a chair or two? (there isn't in mine) If so, maybe try that, with a request to guests (a nicely framed note in the room, perhaps) that they eat at the table, not in bed, as you'd like to avoid having to charge them for stained linens. A bit of scare tactics  might lead to compliance 🙂

And search for threads here, as well as google, on stain removal techniques. Most stains can be removed if you just know what to use on them. Whatever you do, don't wash anything that looks like it could stain in hot water, that just cooks the stain in so it will never come out. Throw them in cold water-sometimes that alone does the trick, then move on to stain removers if needed.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Claribel8 I had a look at your listing photos and I see that you provide a shared dining space.  As that is the case, your guests have no excuse at all to be eating in the bedroom. 

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest that you add a House Rule  - "No food to be eaten in the bedroom.  Please use the dining area provided."

Hope that helps. 

Laylee0
Level 6
Gateshead, United Kingdom

@Claribel8 @I’ve only been hosting for a year but from my experience so far I would say that this is not normal behaviour. Especially not helping themselves to clean bedding! I would definitely mention these things in their review. I agree with @Sarah977 and @Rachel0 about asking guests to eat at the dining table. Personally I wouldn’t ban all food in the bedroom as some people might study or work in there and like a snack to go with it, maybe just ban hot food in the bedroom, as that has the added factor of smelling too. But it’s up to you. But again, this isn’t normal behaviour, so don’t be put off by it! 

I always tell my guests that they are welcome to eat their meal in kitchen, because one guest from korea caught cold and I asked her, why doesn't she make herself a tea. She didn't know she can use the kettle. Other guests were eating in room too, some left a few stains and some didn't. I have created frequently asked questions for guests and included eating in kitchen (using kettle etc.) and since than all guests eating in kitchen. 

If you place a table in the room, Im sure they will most likely use it.