Gas hot water sysyem runs out when long showers are taken

James503
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Gas hot water sysyem runs out when long showers are taken

Hi community,

I am a host and am finding that some guests are complaining about the hot water system running out in my AirBnB apartment.

To me this is simple... take shorter showers. I remember growing up and my family of six taking short quick showers, so that we'd all get a hot shower.

I have recommender that guests should take showers of no longer than 10 minutes, but still this is a big problem for some guests. I don't see it as a catastrophe for their stay, considering the water does heat up again. 

I am finding that AirBnB resolution cosultants are quick to refund a guest instead of supporting their hosts which is frustrating and extremely stressful. 

My hot water system is brand new. Its gas hot water.

Does anyone have a similar experience or can offer some advice? 

Many thanks, 

5 Replies 5
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

You should probably put it in your house rules like you do the makeup towel rule and also have a friendly little note in the bathroom. Maybe something like "Our water heater will give you a nice hot shower for 8 minutes. After that it gets a little chilly." Hopefully that will be adequate for good reviews.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

When we were planning to do Airbnb we upgraded to Gas on demand hotwater. 

It is fantastic because if there are no guests it completely shuts down not even a pilot ight is on. It only fires up when water starts flowing. 

The bonus is endless hot water for guests at a very low cost to run instead of keeping a 

Sorry couldnt edit: rather than keeping a big tank boiling constantly

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

The studio I am putting up on AirBnB has a water line with a control on it outside of the unit (within my gated back yard.) I am testing 1/2 water pressure for reasons like this. Less water flowing through the tank = easier for tank to heat up (cos it loses water slower). Please don't think the water pressure will be too low. I am testing to get it right - but we have high pressure in Santa Rosa so I am just limiting what they can use. It will save my water bill AND my electric (water heater) bill. I am also thinking of buying a z-wave water heater switch to put on it to control. When it rents the water heater will turn on 30 minutes prior to check-in, when they checkout the unit will switch off 2 hrs after (so I can use hot water to clean). 

AnaAlejandra0
Level 2
Mableton, GA

Agree!  Some guests seem completely out there to take advantage and run the water as if it were endless and free.  These guests end up costing us more money than we make and are NOT good stewards of the planet.   If we include a 10-min shower rule; how do you enforce it thought?