General Hosting Frustrations==vent

Kristen21
Level 2
Ellicott City, MD

General Hosting Frustrations==vent

I've been getting dinged on accuracy of my listing for things that are very clear. The last one was for not having WiFi, when I do have WiFi. She didn't know where to find the password, and never asked me (it's in the listing and it's on the side of the router--which is also in my listing). I got dinged for accuracy for not having an updated kitchen, but the pictures in my listing clearly shows what my kitchen looks like. And the best one yet was someone told me to replace outlet covers--they are just the standard plastic covers, and they're all just a couple years old at the most (not cracked or anything--just not top of the line). 

The thing that's frustrating me is the mediocre reviews are coming from guests who asked for special accomodations (one night versus my standard two, or discounted rate). 

Is it other people's experience that when you open your door to people who ask for special considerations that they're going to have higher expectations all around? I thought by being more accomodating that they would be grateful and kinder, but it seems to be quite the opposite. 

It's discouraging to put the effort into something, offering a clean place to people at a MUCH lower price than hotels in the area, with a full kitchen and much more space than a hotel room, to only get criticized. My space is always very clean, provides all the needs for folks staying for 2-3 nights (standard length of stay), at a third to quarter the cost of the hotels up and down the street, and the guests just want MORE.

<end rant>

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah that's probably what's going wrong 🙂

If people ask for discounts or one nighters at a weekend, I normally decline the booking. More often than not they want lower prices and higer service but never be happy and find something to moan about.

I always include WIFI details with my welcome message (which also includes arrival details -  as people just don't read the full guest info).

Your place looks lovely.

You have fantastic reviews and ratings, so don't worry about a few whingers.

Ah that's probably what's going wrong 🙂

If people ask for discounts or one nighters at a weekend I normally decline the booking.

One tip - maybe raise your prices if you are a third of what hotels are charging - have a look at what other BNBs are charging - it would encourage hopefully a better quality guest.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The common view is that those who ask for discounts etc tend to be more of a pain in other areas as well.

David

You answered your own question - when someone is looking for something special outside of your normal options, they already have unreasonable guest-specations.  We've found that guests who are trying to "make" our property what they need, anything outside of their dream will be met with disappointment. It's a giant red flag when people ask for extras or special accommodations.  Probably best to steer clear.  Sorry you are getting hit for really petty and irrational things because your property is super cute and clean looking.  

@Kristen21

The review in question is short and positive.  I think you may have responded to some private feedback.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was private feedback and also the public star ranking was lower because she said my listing was inaccurate based on WiFi (which is available). Accuracy is an important score to me, because I don't want folks thinking the space is not what is portrayed in the pictures and descriptions.

You response made no sense, your replied to something that was not even mentioned in the public comment.

David