Gift from guests - where have they gone?

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Gift from guests - where have they gone?

When we started hosting a year ago, one of the first posts I read on here was a thread about crazy gifts guests had left their hosts. Gifts from guests? Sounds cool. And yes, we got plenty (mustard from Frankfurt, stroopwafels from Holland) and lovely cards to thank us.

But since Christmas, nothing! I'm not complaining, can't expect delicious regional specialities every visit. But I was wondering if this is indicative of a change in ABB guests? I'd like to think we're still giving the same good service (reviews suggest we are).

So, maybe it's a different type of traveller at this time of year? Or perhaps ABB guests have stopped feeling they need to show gratitude to their host for sharing their house (after all, they pay good money)?

What do you think?

45 Replies 45
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I still sometimes get gifts from guests, but it's not as often as when I started hosting in my home back in 2016. In the first couple of years, gifts were a normal thing. Now they are the exception. That's fine by me. A lot of guests brought tea from their home country and I don't drink tea. I do supply tea to my guests, so I guess that could come in useful, but I don't need that much tea! Of course, I would alway thank them profusely. It genuinely is the though that counts and I always think it's very sweet and considerate when a guest brings a gift.