Guest lied & left sex toy in bed

Brianna0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Guest lied & left sex toy in bed

Last night was still available, and when someone booked it I thought "great!" Not so much. I had a guest book who told me he was alone, "passing through on vacation". Last night I noticed there were two cars parked in the spot I told him to use. When I asked if he had someone with him, he never responded. He left very early this morning, did not use any towels, left a huge bottle of vodka and mixers in my fridge, the bed was destroyed, and when I stripped the sheets I found a sex toy in the bed. I did not sign up to be a place for him to come and cheat on his wife. How do I write his review, and do I charge him for anything? He lives in the city where I host.
10 Replies 10
Alice66
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I'm so sorry to hear this. I am in Nashville as well.

I don't know what I would do? Maybe calculate the value of items damaged and take it from his security deposit and write an appropriate review. He lied.

I wouldn't want him to book my place or any other.

Since he is local it is really important.

Thank you.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Guests who book in the same city as where they live often have questionable motives. If that bothers you, decline.

I think that the polite way to manage things are never ever refer to guest's relationships. Such as ''Jim and his wife''... etc. I just call the  ''guests''. I never know who is who and it doesn't matter. ''Jim & co were great guests''...

Hence I would not hang a cheating guest out to dry, other behaviour is an issue but never mention what they get up to. Humans are complex creatures!

And a guest might have a boyfriend this week but not the next, since one of the first things we do in a relationship might be to have a romantic weekend. Then, a breakup maybe and later, a new relationship. We might not want the name ''Jim'' to hang around on our profile for years after he is gone. This is beside the point really, just want to say I think we should stay out of personal affairs, just refer to matter of fact stuff like ''extra unannounced guests present''.

I also noticed that I often do not know they nature of the relationship.

If I remember the names I use that, otherwise party whatever.

Well you can certainly add him to your black list, might be a case for the better suite to a hotel review?

You could always send a messgae saying something was left behind in the bed.....

David
Antoinette8
Level 2
Sun City Center, FL

Please leave a review (esp a #rating) so others will know about this guest should he apply via Abnb again. Thanks
Ricardo71
Level 7
Miami, FL

Hi Brianna!

It is terrible you've gone through this!  I laughed and laughrd at how you described the scenario I can imagine your shock when discovering the toy!!!

On a serious note, I would review the man using facts only and no assumptions of any kind.  You have a bottle of vodka, a sex toy and

a "destroyed" bed -I am not sure if you are refering to actual damages or if it is just a figure of speech.

I guess if there is damage in the bed you should claim compensation for that.  If you have a higher rate for two people you could ask for the difference on rate as well.

I have been always worried this kind of thing could happen so I do not take any reservations for  the same night and I do not accept locals either.   I  focus primarily on tourists.

Best of luck,

Ricardo

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

So, let me get this straight; the guest booked seamlessly, turned up as expected, you've got paid, he left long before check out, didn't use any towels and left you a big bottle of vodka, some mixers and a sex toy.  OK, he probably did have a guest visit him.  However if this isn't prohibited in your house rules, it's no reason to take umbrage.  Frankly, he sounds like the perfect guest to me.  Unless you live in a jurisdiction where hanky panky between consenting adults is a crime, whether he's shagging his wife, a sex worker, or anyone else is really not something you should even care about.  

So, presumably the basis of your complaint is a 'destroyed' bed.  If so, document the damage, get a quote for repair or replacement and make a resolution request.  While you're at it, drop him a line and ask whether he'd like his sex toy returned.

@Louise0 HAHAHAHAHA omg. I love you. this made my day!! " ask him if he wants his sex toy returned" haha you sound like a fun host! 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Taking the moral judgement out of the equation. I am struggling to understand what the guest damaged. You say the bed is destroyed - I asume that means broken and damaged and in that case you can raise a claim against the security deposit. Take photos etc...and make a claim, and leave a review that reflects the damage to the bed. 

You have no proof that a second person stayed, that he cheated on his wife, etc... You got a large bottle of vodka..

Was it a rampant rabbit ? 😉

haha, just looking at the responses here and it seems us Brits & Ozzy's are a bit more laid back.  

I always like to think that I provide my guests a hotel experience & once they rent the room, it really is up to them what they do in it within the house rules.  (e.g no parties).

I once had a German guy come and stay with his 'daughter' - it was pretty grotesque because it was fairly obvious to hear and see that it wasn't his daughter at all *barf*.   Of course, it was never confirmed, but one day my partner and I went out and I told them if they wanted to use the iMac to look up places to go in the city they could.  Later on that day when they were out, curiousty got the better of me and I checked the internet history to see what they had been looking up, lo' and behold, saunas and sex clubs in London was up there!  

Yes, it made me squeamish and a little prudish, but if you're gonna rent your rooms / homes out you need to realise all people are different and are all staying with you for different reasons.  I left good feedback, wore big rubber gloves when I turned over the room and will always have a 'yuk' airbnb story to tell my friends and family.  It's always these stories that are remembered!

Take a chill pill, if the bed is damaged, make a claim.  x

Linda168
Level 1
Ocala, FL

Why do you think he was cheating on his wife. If you thought he was having guests???????????   make him answer.. Airbnb has ins.