Guest refund

Jennifer828
Level 2
Utah, United States

Guest refund

A guest left a night early and is now requesting a refund. While here he used our washer AND our soap, he requested the washer but I thought he'd bring his own soap. He used our kitchen, left dirty dishes and a full cup of chocolate milk on our counter (why not dump it in the sink???), was sick the whole time and not once did I see him wash his hands (gross), and didn't request the refund until now, after his stay had ended so I couldn't rebook the room.
He has not reviewed me yet. Do I just hold my nose and give him back the full (measly) $23?

2 Replies 2
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Hi Jennifer, can you tell me what your cancellation / refund policy is? Airbnb would of course like you to refund the guest, but if that is not in line with your chosen policy, you don't necessarily have to refund. Of course, then you may be subject to a 'revenge review', which could torpedo your stats. You may or may not be able to get it removed. This is the 'double bind' we hosts are in. It works out very well for Airbnb, but not so well for us hosts. You will have to choose your poison on this one, unfortunately.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Your reviews are important, so I would refund the $23 and send him a nice message sympathising with him being sick...such a shame you had to cut your stay short...hope you are feeling better now...etc. this is not a review, just a message to him via Airbnb's system.

Then in the review I would mention the grievences you had about the kitchen being dirty and dishes left out, etc.  You need to warn other hosts.