Guest who came late, chose not to stay and wants a refund

Guest who came late, chose not to stay and wants a refund

I recently had an overnight guest who arrived at 11 pm and decided he didn't want to stay and left. Now he wants a refund.

The accomodation is clearly photographed.

What should I do?

8 Replies 8
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gretchen21

You should clearly tell him to hop on his bike!

Immediately contact Airbnb and lodge a complaint about this guest and explain what happened. Get it all documented because this 'guest' may well request a refund from Airbnb and get one, which they will take from your future hostings.

Gretchen, the Sydney number is 02 8520 3333....get onto them straight away, the phone system here is not bad you should be talking to someone promptly and tie up all the loose ends from your end....

And good luck, hope you don't strike any more like that!

Cheers.....Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree with @Robin4

What reason did the guest give for not staying?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3

Listings are all about interpretation Helen. Two years ago one of the most sort after listings in Australia was in the Blue Mountains just outside a town called Bathurst in NSW.

This guy from Sydney bought a bare plot of a few acres and deliberately went to every junk yard, secondhand shop he could find and bought the rustiest corrugated iron, the most weathered floor boards, the most abused 'claw foot' bath' the most 'used' articles he could find and he built himself a listing. Helen this listing was fully booked for that year and people could not get enough of what he had done and was offering. But there were those who were horrified of living in....well, 'junk'! They were used to the opulent surrounds of a Hilton, a Sherraton or an Intercontinental! What is it they say, 'one mans junk is another mans treasure' and although I think @Gretchen21 100 year old cabin looks fantastic, it's quirky and oozes appeal, I can understand there are those who would think....'This is not exactly what I thought I was getting into'!

Gretchen I am not criticising, I love what you are doing, I would stay there in a heartbeat, but I can understand.....right?

Cheers.....Rob

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I grew up in a house like that. I would stay there as the house will bring back beautiful memories of a happy child hood.  I love it and dont change it for anyone.  Their loss not yours.. I hope Airbnb pay you . Good luck

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They do not have to stay, they do have to pay. That is what your cancellation conditions are for.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126

That David is technically correct, but you know as well as I do from the volume of posts of complaint, we have seen it so often before...The guest was not happy with this or that, in many instances the guest didn't even show up! They lodge some sort of flimsy excuse and Airbnb refunds their money....Seen it time and time again!

It's all very well saying you have a cancellation policy, these days it's up to you to make that policy work. That's why I told @Gretchen21 to get onto ABB post haste.

Cheers....Rob

I looked at the listing and forgot to mention that there seemsome personal photos on there, but the listing was pretty clear about what was on offer warts and all.

I agree what ABB will do may sadly be illogocal but the issue at the moment is what you can do, who knows if it will get that far.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126

Can't argue with a solitary word there. Yeah the photos lack a bit of focus, no bathroom shot, no building surrounds and I guess that would be a listing feature although, I do like the one with the kids and the tree frog.....as long as it's not a small 'cane toad'!!

Cheers....Rob