How do I prevent Guests from doing illegal drugs?

Answered!
Tony295
Level 2
Morrow, GA

How do I prevent Guests from doing illegal drugs?

I have in my hosting policy "No smoking and no marijuana" . I also am sure to advice "Please read my hosting information thoroughly and carefully" in my initiatal response. Guests have come and said they read my hosting policy on smoking and asked if they could smoke outside. I have in the past given approval. What some have done is to go stand in the front yard and on the driveway and instead of tobacco, start smoking marijuana. I am very nervous about this as one of my next door neighbours is a security officer and I have never smelt marijuana being smoked in this neighbourhood. I fear a guest smoking marijuana could get me and my house in trouble.

One group smoked marijuana inside the house when I was not there. Because of the risk of getting in trouble and mindful of the need to have the house smelling fresh for successive guests, I have stopped giving  permission to smoke on the property and my last booking cancelled. The booking before that arrived from the airport in a vehicle with the strongest scent of marijuana which t hey also brought into the house. I stated the house policy on smoking and marijuana. They left their luggage in the rooms to go tour the city,  and booked a new location while parked in the driveway, then cancelled requesting a refund, then came and collected their property. (I texted then to return for property they left after about 5 minutes. By the time they returned shortly after it was clear they were smoking marijuana in the vehicle - however that was not my business !!)

My question is WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO TO PROTECT MYSELF AND MY PROPERTY FROM POSSIBLE TROUBLE ?

1 Best Answer
Robert929
Level 2
Yonkers, NY

My experience in downtown Yonkers.   The drug culture here is PERVASIVE and it’s still not legalized.

I have a no smoking policy, this includes ANYTHING that burns, tobacco, marijuana, crack, incense.   Even though people confirm reading the house rules, occasionally a bad guest will burn marijuana.  EVERY time this happens they also burned the couch, kitchen table, dresser, bookcase, kitchen floor, as well as do stupid stuff like pee into the house plant, clog toilet with a roll of toilet paper, leave the front door wide open for hours at a time. Leave behind bags of marijuana and hash. And leave the place in a total shambles.  It’s disheartening to work so hard to create a space that guests can enjoy and have it occasionally DESTROYED by the same people who share the love of 420.

So I have made the conclusion that SMOKING marijuana almost always costs me over $1000 in cleaning, and damages. 

HERE ARE THE WAYS I PREVENT DRUG PARTIES 

Stop using insabook,

be very cautious about who I rent to  for only ONE night,

be very cautious when people from the local community rent the place,

be very cautious with people who can hardly write a proper sentence during our messaging.

No past reviews make me VERY NERVOUS.

also

I suspect that there is an underground social media thread within the drug using community.   Especially after a recent attempt to book by one particular thug (Who I refused to host) then I started to notice that that same booking date was requested by 2 other people.  They had similar difficulty creating a grammatically correct sentence, and were unable to articulate a legitimate reason to rent the space.

Needless to say, I’d rather leave the place vacant than risk the destruction.

I know that the local organizers of the drug parties are out there, just waiting for me to let my guard down, so...

My next plan is to greet ‘suspect”  guests with a Belgian Malinois K9, and casualty introduce them to him as my “partner”. Let them make their own conclusions 

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Marijuana is a new cultural norm. I live in Colorado where weed is legal and acceptable. We can buy it at a store like bread. I do allow smoking of marijuana in my home for s few reasons. First I'd rather have them smoke inside than out on my lawn in front of a security official especially in a state where it's not legal yet. Second it does not leave a long term smell like tobacco. While i have found marijuana in my tables and counter tops, I've never had the smell linger to where it's obvious when I come to clean. Third I think it's better than a bunch of really drunk people out of control and breaking stuff. Get used to it people smoke weed. All sorts of people smoke weed. I haven't had an issue yet. @Tony295

Nice to get your  feedback Colleen. I actually have no problem with people's choices, it is just that marijuana also makes me very nauseous.  Guess being a non-smoker myself,  I am also not used to it..... while also fearing the police presence. The smell did linger for days inside too.  Let's hear other opinions. Cheers !!

Okay I have a little tile to reply to everyone. Sorry Colleen, I really have not begun the road to getting used to it. In Georgia it is still illegal and the smell still makes me nauseous. 

Mary-And-Kelly0
Level 7
Leavenworth, WA

I live in Washington state where it is also legal. We probably have more weed stores than liquor stores. I do allow it inside my rental. I have found that regardless of smoking policy people who smoke weed are going to do it anyway so if you can't beat em join em. I have had no problems or issues with it. No lingering smell and everyone has obeyed my no smoking tobacco inside. It has definitely become very mainstream in this state nobody hides anymore.

I hear you ladies !!

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

It is not all about being legal or not....its about being respectfull to your host. In belgium you can smoke it without a problem on property but i do not need my guests to be doing that in our house.  So if they know that they should stick to that. Thats my opinion.

I do not allow smoking of any kind inside, certainly around me there are Hosts who advertise that they are 4/20 friendly.

I do not mind what they do outside, it is often very windy and in the winter cold.

David

I totally agree with your opinion. The thing is, folks who might interact with it a lot are probably used to the smell ( more power to them !!) but non-users with a diserning sense of smell do pick it up very quickly - even the faintest of smell sometimes. I do, as I have a very keen sense of smell. Today I got a request asking if I had a smoking area.  The reply was, sadly there wasn't one.

Tony

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I live in a 4/20 friendly state and yet I've never had anyone smoke it in or near my home.  I've had cigarette smokers break my rule, but never had anyone smoke MJ.  I think the real question is why do your guests consistently feel that it is OK to disrespect you, your rules, and your home.   

If I had to guess... your opening line about being near the nightlife, as well as your low price - is attracting less than mature guests.  And I don't mean a number, but rather a mentality.  

I note your reply Wilow and am using it as food for thought as I am relativey still new to this. True, some of my  guests have told me that my price is too low. I raised it to where it is now and have gotten a mix of reactions from folks. It seems to me that some folks want the low price but on their terms. Today I got asked if I had a smoking area. My no answer will probably result in a booking elsewhere, but that's okay.

Andrew458
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I don't think you have a problem here. I would be surprised if you got in any legal trouble for someone smoking marijuana on your property after you have told them not to do so. You might ask a policy officer or a lawyer. Worse case scenario is that the guests are arrested but you have done nothing wrong and attempted to discourage the behavior.

As for any indoor odor, spray some Frebreeze and turn on the vent fans.  

You might make friends with the security officer and ask him to stop by and remind the guests that marijuana is illegal in GA. 

Andrew

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Tony295 I have had experiences such as yours, which led me to a very firm no smoking / no vaping policy. It is noted several places in my listing, and I also note it in the check-in email I send out a week in advance. I also clearly state in my House Rules that guests who smoke / vape on my property or in the Cottage will charged up to the limit of their security deposit for smoke smell and ensuing clean-up and any bookings lost as a result of the smell (I usually have same day turnover). 

In almost a year, I've yet to have a guest violate my policy - that I am aware of. You need to be firm, and be willing to follow through if they violate the policy. Since I live on the property, I have an advantage, as it is harder for them to do it without me knowing. 

@ Rebecca. Your response makes a lot of sense and I am going to investigate adopting parts of it. I do stress in my response to bookings that guests read my hosting pages thoroughly. Some assure me they did, while some say they will and then share the contents with their party, then they come breaking the rules. As I am still relatively new to this, one of the reasons I have taken nearly two months time-out from hosting, is simply to think !! I am reflecting on such things as allowing any cooking (light bill increased from $45 to $270); allowing visitors ( did it once and the guest and a visitor almost had a physical fight); guests arriving with more persons than they paid for (quite a few have done that). 

Hi @Tony295, I had a look at your listing and my first impression was the same as @Willow3. You mention closeness to night life in your first line. Your listing description plays an important role in the kind of guests you attract. I recommend changing it.

I also noticed that your listing price is lower, but that could be because you are offer a single room. I would suggest you to increase the price, you could add few amenities that your guests consider valuable. This way you would have better quality guests.

I sincerely hope that the situation changes for you and you start receiving better guests in future. Good luck!!