Guests want a full refund because they missed their flight.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests want a full refund because they missed their flight.

I have my cancellation policy set to moderate (recently changed to strict), and these guests cancelled a day before their booking. They told me their flights were cancelled due to the situation in Fiji at the moment. So I told them they would need to cancel their booking, and travel insurance would cover the loss.  BUT, now they are telling me that they missed their flight? meaning that it was their fault? so they wouldnt get the money back via insurance.  Hmmmm, if they did this with a hotel, they wouldn't get any money back. 

I have not responded yet, but I think I will tell them they can not have the full refund - my place is cheap enough for US residents. Its only $38USD for 2 people per night. So their total booking cost for 2 nights was $75USD...so their refund is already 50% of the second night. So they will get back $19USD (minus service fees). I think that is fare for both sides. 

2 Replies 2
Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

I completely agree with you @Punam0.

You have a cancellation policy for a reason and the way I see it, they will be refunded some money since you had moderate set when they booked.  As they have already cancelled, Airbnb has refunded them according to your cancellation policy.  Missing of flights is not an extenuating circumstance especially when it was their fault.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host