Help with reservation change

Help with reservation change

Hi, I need help/advice about a reservation change request from my current tenant. She was supposed to check in today the 29th (checkin is at 3) and stay to the 31st.  She sent me an alteration request at 250pm wanting to change her dates to July 10th-12th. I don't understand how that works so far out? She's basically canceling on me 10 minutes before checkin but to avoid cancelation fees she's doing it as an alteration. How do I respond to this? Will I get penalized if I refuse her request? I live in a high tourist town and have been booked out, but now this weekend my unit will be empty? 

7 Replies 7
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

What is your cancellation policy?

Mine is flexible. Which is 1 day notice they get a refund. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Johanna412  No, you don't get penalized for refusing the alteration change. Do not agree to it. She has no intention of staying on a different date, she's just scamming to get a total refund.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The one time I agreed to a date-change like this they promptly cancelled just after I agreed it. Scammed!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Johanna412 , If you think you will book it for that weekend then decline it.  They showed no remorse about cancelling 10 minutes before they were supposed to arrive, forgetabout them and take what you can get for their shortsightedness and short fuze!  Stay well, JR

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Johanna412 

Exactly what @Sarah977 and @Gordon0  said.

You won't be penalised as you do not need to accept rescheduling and you potentially can be scammed. What sort of guest tells you that they're not arriving 10 minutes before, after you specifically holding those reservation dates?

Refuse the rescheduling but say that your accommodation is still available for her upcoming weekend. (She won't book). Guests who can only bring themselves to provide ten minutes notification are not the sort of guests you want to host.

There's a saying this reminds me of, it's "Piss or get off the pot!" She's just taking it... 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The fact they send that request a mere 10 minutes before arrival speaks volumes.