Host Friendly Gadgets - The Big List! (Will be updated)

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Host Friendly Gadgets - The Big List! (Will be updated)

Hi All,

Thought I'd start a friendly conversation around some of the interesting / handy / useful gadgets Airbnb Hosts could be keen on exploring. I'll keep updating this list as we discover more so it's easy to find for other Hosts.

Anyone with first hand experience, if you provide a quick summary / review I'll share it under each product.

Noise Monitoring

Point by Minut - https://www.minut.com/

Noise Aware - https://noiseaware.myshopify.com/

Who can share a few options available in the home security / keyless entry space? (quite a few of them)

Look forward to sharing other great ideas and growing this list out!

Cheers,

Paul

---

15 Replies 15
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Ring Doorbell - the best.

I use a Ring Doorbell  in two of my lisitngs, and it's been a real blessing.   I have the doorbell hardwired to the house electricity (you can also mount it and have it on battery) and that allows me a live view online.   The doorbell also has a motion detector which you can set, and it in turns sends a msg when motion is sensed.   All that is great, but the best part is the camera, as I can now use it to confirm the number of guests arriving and departing.   

I helped a guest get into our house yesterday.  They couldn't figure out the code so they rang the doorbell.  I was at the supermarket and was able to see them, talk to them and walk them through getting inside.   It's not a two way video like face time.  I can see and hear them, they can only hear me.

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I use resort lock for keyless entry. The have fancy new WiFi enabled ones but I prefer the low cost manual ones that still work with the host assist. Does not require Internet access and have never had a problem. It's been the #1 thing I have done over the last 10 years of renting my property out. No more dealing with keys, lost keys, replacing keys etc. this is the key for me to secure last minute bookings. Especially when manging remotely.

http://www.lockstate.com/airbnb-host-assist/
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Who can find a solution to keys and guests losing them when us tenants who can not change locks have guests? Especially double doors with the outside door shared by other apartments?

I'm not sure what the question is can you clarify?
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrew90  live in a block of six flats the door to the whole block is very expensive and has six owners once I buzz them in I then have to open my own door so  have to be in ;!tonights guest is coming from Korea so will arrive God knows what time and has told me he doesn't speak English so I can never go out on a check in day and never change door locks

Hi @sarah,

Keycafe as mentioned in this thread has expanded to nearly 40 locations in London.  If you check out the Keycafe website you will hopefully be able to find a location near your properties.   Keycafe is a self-serve fully automated key exchange solution so you don't have to wait for late arriving guests anymore!

Best,

Jason

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Sara2,

I've taken a human approach to that problem. I keep a set of keys at a local cafe I have a good relationship with that is in close proximity to my place. If it's a common problem I'd suggest hold your Guests more (financially) accountable if they lose the keys as it sounds like it has a ripple effect on your other Guests.

That said, there are a few services popping up attempting to build a formal service around it.. Keycafe an example I've seen although they don't seem to have grown out of the US.

@Andrew90 - Thanks for sharing! I'll get it up on the list as our first tilt at key / lock options! 🙂

Cheers,

Paul

---

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul0@Andrew90 Thank you for sharing; my local cafe are friendly but their waiters transient and the owner does not want them opening my flat , the owner doesn't come in daily

my block has 6 apartments and a £300 front door security key It would cost a fortune to replace for six people.plus the landlords would not approve and my neighbour is a tetrapleagic so can't help.

would appreciate ideas?

I think the outer shared door represents a challenge but less of a security risk. I would charge a lost key fees and replace the lick to your unit.

Since I'm remote I have several options set up. I have shed with combination padlock door (could you have lock box in back or nearby with spare key?). I also have a handy man and cleaner who could serve as backup. But I think I only have had to use them 1x in 10 years.
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrew90 London cleaners charge a fortune to let people in in fact more than a nights stay if they are late don't have access to a garden for guest except INSIDE HOUSE so hiding keys no good

Have you had some key fobs made up with your tel number. Has worked for us on the last two occasions - I got a call about 15 mins after the keys were lost in both instances. Ebay has a range of wooden and metallic ones.

Jesus106
Level 1
Ciudad de México, Mexico

look in google for "key storage lock box wall" and that's the solution for your problem.
You don't have trust anyone with your keys.

Just to reiterate my positive experiences with Lockstate.   I had a problem where guests broke lock after 3 years and the company was extreemly responsive and even though well out of warranty they sent me replacments parts for just shipping costs and offered to hvae me send the lock to them for repair and also no charge other than shipping.  

Also to clarify the distinction between the older Algorythmic locks vs the newer WiFi locks.  The Algorythmic locks HAVE NO INTERNET connection but once set up allow you to use thier website or app to generate a code that will work between any two date/times within a year and define permanent codes for cleaners, family, friends, neighbors handyman etc and single use codes to give to repair people etc..  This is the only lock I would put on since I live 5 hours away and don't want to have cleaner or others responsible for programming the lock or having repair person fix wifi if it fails.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I've been using a Netatmo Welcome camera. I keep it in the hallway near the front door (not in the guest living space).

It has facial recognition, so it knows the people who are regulars in my house (me, BF, friend who helps with cleaning, etc.). It's has a lot of flexibility in terms of alerts and who it records. For example, it knows me and just records when I first get home. Right now it records unfamiliar faces (guests) but doesn't record "any movement" (which was usually the cat walking by). It can remember up to 16 people, so while I sometimes teach it my guests (it helps me remember who is who!), I have it "forget" them after they've checked out. It also picks up on alarm noises, so let me know when some guests set off the smoke alarm.

I've also got a SmartThings sytem and keep a movement/temperature monitor upstairs. The upstairs in my old house gets much warmer in the summer than the downstairs -if it gets warmer than 76, I get alerted & can check in with my people to see if they'd like the AC on. I also have a open/close sensor on the door separating the guest area from my personal space, so if anyone were up to no good while I'm away, I'd know.

The Kwikset 910 lock works great, too. It's a simple re-programable lock - takes less than a minute to reset the code for the next guests & I don't have to deal with lost keys. (I do keep a hide-a-key for the 2% of Luddites that can't figure out how to work it!) The $99 version has an open slot to add a Z-wave controller that would work with my home automation setup, but I haven't felt a need to add that $100 piece.