Instant booking

Ann219
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Instant booking

I got an instant booking on Airbnb

Airbnb asked me to send the guest check in details

I did included the key code to enter my apartment and address etc.

Airbnb then cancelled the instant booking stating security issues.  ( they would not explain to me what they were)  

Obviously I was upset as I believed  that airbnb had vetted and cleared my guest and got all ID  neeeded for security purposes , before they could instant book.    

Now I have no booking, 4 days before guest was due to arrive and the guest has the key code to may apartment.   

When I phone customer service   I was told they could not help as was a security issue and I would have to wait for somone in Airbnb to contact me who could help Ie someone higher up 

I am still waiting and all details of bookings including the messages sent back and forth to guest have disappeared from my  mail box???????  

This is really a worry for me knowing someone out there can go into my apartment before I can change key code.

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ann219  How worrisome for you!  How quickly can you change the code?  Most hosts who allow self check-in, will release the information the day of the check-in and will advise the guest of the procedure durning the welcome message.  Hope all works out for you.

I think you are missing the point  LInda.   I had a confirmed guest.  Confirmed by Airbnb  A guest that was suppossed to pass airbnb security and Id checks.

I like to give my guests plenty of notice re check in.   I had no idea Airbnb could cancel an booking (instant booking)  with no explanation only a generic email sent to both guest and I ( not stating why the booking was cancelled and requesting we call with any questions)   I called airbnb and the customer service person was unable to answer my questions.

My request was escalated as urgent to someone in airnb that could help

I am still waiting for that call.

Unfortuanatley  I feel airbnb have no interest in the Hosts any more an the demand outweights the supply in sydney...  when I first joined and I was one of the first in Sydney.  The customer service was excellent.  Now its is terrible

@Ann-And-Mad0 There is no safety in Airbnb checking anything. 

Read this:

Alice and Jeff explains why. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/listing-and-reservations/thr...

Also see Momi's long details on how to screen your guests. 

There is a reason why lots of hosts install at least outside security cameras in case they end up with cancellation but the potential guests already have their info. Also keyless entry allows you to give each guest a unique code for example a day before arrival. Which you can alway change.