Items guests left behind

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Items guests left behind

PJMPHOTO18Q326_TR5DM3_182.jpg

Hello everyone,

Today's topic is something that probably most of us can relate to (the title says it!). 

A few years ago, I shared a topic asking all of you at the time whether you've had guests forgetting items. 

I received some lovely responses at the time and thought it'd be great to hear from you again as we as a community have grown so much and have welcomed many new members over the years (and perhaps more guests have forgotten items 😉 ).

I once had a guest forgetting a laptop! They departed early to the airport, but one of them came back to pick up the laptop after I gave them a quick call. 

Have you had any guests forgetting items?

I look forward to reading your stories!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

59 Replies 59
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Haha, they must have been really expensive then! @Elena87  

I am somehow picturing the transfer of those items at the railway station in my head 😂

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

First, I  have taken the wrong suitcase off the carousel at the airport in Auckland after catching up with our daughter and going to bed 3 hours later 11.30 pm realised I  had someone else's. Decided to open found someones diary which had itinerary in rang them by chance. Person not very happy returned to airport next day and they forwarded to them on tour. Felt very sorry for the other person.

Next some our guests have left phone chargers, odd socks, swimmers, towels and food. I have phoned them some come back others not concerned and say dont worry if passing will pick up.

I have produced a list and have put it in my welcome booklet as a reminder for others. I  imagine the list will grow.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, sorry to hear about the suitcase issue. I can imagine this has caused an inconvenience for both of you at that time. 

From reading all the comments here, it looks like socks are one of the items guests tend to forget a lot! 😄

-----

Jeani-and-David0
Level 2
Circle Pines, MN

All the time! Had a nurse stay during the pandemic who left behind a few items in a dresser drawer including a bloody mask. Why would you save that?!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I was a guest all last week on a work trip, @Quincy and thought I had everything at checkout on Friday. 

But no. My host wrote on Saturday to say he was just about to sprinkle my homemade granola on his yoghurt. He wondered whether I was still in town and would like to pick it up first.  I wasn't, so it was an inadvertent (and boring) gift. 

The things left here have been rubber boots, clothing, dozens of flashlights, a toque, single mittens, water pistols, knives, water bottles. Only one t-shirt needed to be returned, because it was the guest's favourite band, and a couple of other clothing items to others. They usually want their jackets returned. The guest who left the boots is coming back in the fall for them. They were brand new when she left them last fall. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ha, at least the granola didn't go to waste @Lawrene0! People really forget pistols?? 

-----

Water pistols only, @Quincy . And camping/whittling knives. The list is not so scary as I realize now that it looks. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

Unfortunately, I've had more guests take something that's mine versus leaving something behind.  When it has happened, it's usually some pieces of clothing or undergarments.  It seems either they meant to leave them or didn't notice they were missing, because almost always I am the one contacting them about their left behind items.  Thus far, no one has returned to pick up their stuff, not even local guests.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that @Debra300! What do they tend to take? 

-----

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

The guesthouse originally had a shared guest kitchen, and it was difficult to determine who took something.  Dishes, glasses, silverware, and food storage containers have gone missing.  

I forgot my things when traveling, sometimes in a rush anything can happen

Rebecca1458
Level 4
Washington, DC

Socks... it's always socks. I find them in the bedding, under furniture, etc. 😂

Mara1450
Level 2
Woy Woy, Australia

Just recently guest left behind a old shower cup looking item .We put on the box for couple days and dispossessed it .It was looking fulty ...3 days later here she send a message about this "silk sleeping cap" which was $100 !so I honestly told her what happened and offered her discount for next stay or $50 reinforcement ,fair enough to...she was furious ,send me a assay about how/what I should do with bullying undertones about the review 

She will write.So I did send her a $75 and my good wishes.Thinking what lucky girl she is, basically she stay free one night plus she replaced her old "silk"cap in once. I learn my lesson. Who knows she may still give us bad review.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

We’ve not had a huge amount left but did find an ice tray in the freezer once.  The lady messaged asking if we could post it on.  Apparently her hubby bought it in the US and it was his favourite.

A drawer full of bras

A leavers hoodie

A ‘See You Jimmy’ Hat

2 x mugs

1 earring 

1 necklace

Loads of food 

Cans  of beer 

Masses or packets of nachos

An ice tray 

A phone charger 

Bodywash   

A bowl

A board game  

Ladies tops

Lighters

Wallet 

Odd socks 

T shirts 

Football cards

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

we've had the usual: phone chargers (thanks, they can go in the basket in the cottage for future guests), socks, swimwear, but the sweetest one was a pink water bottle left by a little girl, and not sure why  it was special ( was about $30, so not a cheapie, but still.... as a parent i might have used it as a teaching moment). Anyway they contacted us, they live down in the city, about 50kms away, but my daughter was going into town to do an Ikea run (oh, for these same guests who had broken the bed!! and hadn't mentioned it, we assumed the kids had jumped on the sides, there's no way those 2 adults were getting any "them time" haha, not with the 2 kids they had with them, anyway the beds weren't super high quality and about 7 years old so we just figured it was wear and tear) and buy new beds so she dropped the water bottle off at their house as it wasn't far from the Ikea. side note: if you need to buy a bed (2 beds actually, we replaced both) today, the only place - at least in Adelaide - is Ikea. covid/supply chain/blah blah blah.  

Turns out they own a business that sells those sticky rollers that remove hair and fluff, and they sent us their deluxe model and 2 refills. And the little girl wrote a cute thank you note. How lovely!