Making assumptions about rules as a host (and guest)

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Making assumptions about rules as a host (and guest)

I just got my first bad review as a guest. I have 20 reviews overall. The host said that I allowed my dog on furniture, did not mop the floors and had extra guests over.

I did all the above.

The dog: I allow pets on furniture at my Airbnb's. It is not an enforceable rule plus most humans are messier than most dogs. If this was in her listing (and it did allow dogs and I paid a pet fee), I would not have booked. I made an assumption that this was ok, she made an assumption that everyone knows not to let dogs on furniture. I guess I will know to ask next time before booking. She will have more "bad" guests if she does not spell this out

The mopping: there were check out rules posted on the fridge and I followed them. Apparently there were more rules in the listing itself and I did not look there. I am surprised she only mentioned the mopping as there was a whole list I did not follow. I assumed that what was posted on the fridge were my instructions. She assumed read (and remembered) the entire listing including house rules. I should know better as a fellow host to do so. I think there are three categories of people: those who will leave a place better than they found it; those who will clean if they are told (me); those who will leave a mess no matter what.

This host assumed I will explicitly seek out check out rules or would clean as if this were my home. I assumed I paid a cleaning fee, I am on vacation and if I need to do anything specific it would be obvious. I probably would have not booked if I saw the cleaning requirements in the listing (too much for me). I have revisited her listing and I found all of this in house rules. You have to scroll all the way down past reviews, map etc. you then see icons for house rules- check in and out, pets etc. You then needs to click on show more to read her text.

I do not think any guest will go through that much reading trouble and if they do, they are not going to remember all of that when the time comes to stay. I cant blame it on the host either however as one myself, this is not how I should be displaying anything I actually want read by my guests

The guests: we were there for my daughters sports camp. Her friends came over and parents picked them up. No one stayed overnight and the number was under the total head count. I did not cook for them, they did not shower. I allow guests and do not charge for them however require IDs and advanced notice. There was no such language in this listing. The host must have assumed this was a given that no one can come over. I actually specifically booked a bigger place knowing she would have friends over so again would not have booked if this were in the rules.

I am not making excuses for my behavior.  I am posting this so we can all gain perspective of a guest. I genuinely had no clue how bad of a guest I was. I personally have learnt a lot from this about guest vs host expectations, what should be communicated and how.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Inna I don't have an issue with anything you did.....or did not do!  In my listing you would have been a great guest!

All I expect of guests is that they be aware of their surroundings. I don't cross T's and dot I's......! 

Everyone has differing expectations both as a guest and as a host. Some of my nicest guests have been my most messy guests! But I don't care, that is my fault because I have told them I want to be that ' go to'  listing, I want to clean after them.......I don't expect them to do it!

Inna, I am more interested in people as they are rather than the effort I might have to go through to clean up after them.

And on the other side of the coin I don't read house rules, I am on holiday but......I am a host and I know how I would like my listing to be left so, I do the same for those places I stay in......I go that extra yard!

Inna, just be yourself, you are delightful, and just remember mate, if the woes of Chicagie and Illinois get to much for you and you are ever down in this part of the world, our door will always be open for you!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

83 Replies 83
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Ah, okay. I took that in the context of @Fred13 saying he had no rules...

Aye @Huma0 , the one giving low stars despite @Mark116 bending over backwards.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 

Fair enough! 

@Inna22 Thank you so much for posting.

After reading your post I am writing list of things humans (most of them, I agree with you, worse than dogs) are allowed to do. This community is really helpful!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Inna22   I regret that had you been my guest, 2 of the things that you did would have violated my house rules.

I do not require my guests to do any housework as a part of their departure.  I do ask them to check that they have all of their stuff, but they can leave the bedding on the beds, the towels piled up in the shower and dirty dishes in the dishwasher.  Just walk out the door.  My housekeeper and I can clean the cabin from top to bottom in 4 hours, including a full hot tub water changeover ... 6 hours if you are a nightmare guest, brought a sticky-fingered toddler or your dog shed their entire coat of fur.

However... I send a contract with each booking.  The contract is a requirement of NC law for vacation rentals.  My contract outlines that the registered guest may have 2 (two) daytime guests.  That's it.  There is no reference to the "total" that the cabin can host.  If you are 2 registered guests, you may have two daytime guests.  If you are four registered guests, you may have two daytime guests.  TWO.

My contract also covers pets. Pets may not be allowed to sleep or lie on the furniture.  Because so many people let their animals do that anyway, I provide Pet Sheets so that you can drape the furniture like a haunted house.  I despair when I strip a bed and find the sheets, pillows and duvets COVERED in fur.  What it means is that after I wash the bedding, I have to vacuum the fur out of the washer tub, run the bedding a second time and vacuum out the washer tub again before the next load can be started.  Ick.  You and Louie would have ended up on my "do not rent to again" list.

But, to each their own...

@Lorna170 I assume you give the contract for review before people book or the terms are in the listing. And we did have only two kids over and Louie does not shed that much. If you say in the listing that you do not allow dogs on furniture, I am not going to book. It is all about transparency. It is not like I have set out to break the rules. And if you know you do not want a guest like me- make it clear. Win win for both sides. It is totally OK not to want a certain type of a guest

@Inna22 Hi -- before I comment, I just want to say that your posts are interesting and informative, especially the ones that have generated conversations between hosts.

I send the contract to the guest with my welcome message and allow/encourage them to cancel their booking should they disagree with any part of the contract.  Other OTAs have provided the means for a guest to view the (legally required in NC) contract prior to booking, AirBnB does not.  Wish they did.

Thank you for such a vibrant, vigorous conversation!

@Lorna170 I do not disagree with a concept of a contract although I would imagine it is difficult to squeeze a signature out of some folk, bit because they just don’t want to sign one for no particular reason and because some people just don’t respond. I get IDs from everyone and it creates a lot of tension. I used it set up additional bedding based on guest needs and it was difficult to figure out what some people needed. It created negativity with some guests instead of being extra customer services Gesture. Do you ever get push back? How many cancel? I assume you have a cancellation policy that allows for it? Also, while you can not post the contract itself, I would imagine you outline the rules that are in it as free text in your listing?

@Inna22  I am fortunate.  For 20+ years I have had guests who gladly received the contract, reviewed it, signed it and sent it back.  We had paper, PDFs, fax, photographs and esign.  Vxxx still allows my guests to review the contract prior to booking as I can post it on their site.  AirBnB guests get an email and the option to cancel the booking.  Under NC law, receipt of the contract and the exchange of money implies consent.  The bones of the contract are on the Air website (if the guest reads).

I have had maybe 2 guests a year cancel (out of 60+ separate reservations).