Minor Damages by Guests

Mary1387
Level 2
Columbus, GA

Minor Damages by Guests

I had one guest completely ruin a washcloth from the best towel set I had. All the color was somehow removed. it looks as if it was bleached. Can no longer provide it with my best towel. Another guest must have removed her makeup with a washcloth and I suspect the stains will not come out. A third guest somehow made unremovable purple marks on a just painted white closet door. Obviously, these are not costly damages and so I don't want to put in claims. Not only that, but if I put in some sort of claim, then I would likely lose them as future guests or get negative reviews. I've thought about messaging them and asking how these things happened, but even that gives me pause. These things are certainly frustrating. What is best thing to do? Or better to do nothing?

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mary1387,

These are annoying incidents and sometimes happens.Some people do not take care. As you said, a negative review could bring more "damage" then the cost of a new wascloth. After all it is bussines and things like this are part of it. You could mention something in the review about the guest, if it is clear the guest used your facilities in a bad way.

Best regards,

Emiel

The woman who damaged the washcloth has not posted a review, nor has she replied to my messages asking if everything was okay. I have not mentioned the damage. Lack of communication is yet another frustration!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mary1387

Unfortunately Mary it does happen often. I can cope with wine and blood stains and most others but every now and then acetone is involved. I even had one guest destroy a band new quilt cover....it was the first hosting with this set ....

IMG20180910112951.jpg

You can of course tackle the guest about it but, in almost all instances the guest will deny doing it and say they didn't see it that I must have missed it when I made up the bed!!!....yeah*

I don't antagonise them in the review proccess Mary, but in private feedback I tell them how disappointed I was that the little accident went unmentioned and that future hosts will no doubt take a lot firmer action than me so, in future just make sure to take a bit more care of the hosts property!

That shames them and I am afraid that is about all you can do and at least come out of the hosting with a positive review!

A small amount of my hosting amount goes into a seperate fund to cover accidents like this. I don't ride Airbnb or anyone else, I just put it right and get on with the next hosting, it doesn't happen often enough to make a big song and dance about.

Get onto the bathware manufacturer explain the situation and ask if it is possible to obtain a replacement. I have done that on one occasion in the past and the manufacturer obliged and in fact sent 2 towels and my set was made whole again!

Cheers......Rob

Rob, wow, thanks for the photo. Sorry that happened. Maybe acetone is what my guest used. You have given great advice here. I will save them in my notes and maybe call that manufacturer! Did v you try that on the quilt?

I want to tell this guest (privately) but apparently she's not getting on AirBnb because she's not responded to my (positive) review (given no review back),  and she's not answered a couple of polite messages.

How do you get rid of blood and wine stains?

Thanks for your post @Mary1387  I was about to ask a similar question.... got my answer too!! I'm new in hosting  1 booking last year witch left me with one broken mosquito door fence (expensive one to repair) a broken sun umbrella and hose nose, 3 bookings so far that left me ....all my fridge's shelf broken and glued back , another fence broken , another umbrella miss handled, the bottom of glass jar from my coffee machine broken and a stain on my marble floor probably from garbage bag ....and of course stained linen ....None of this was mentioned to me on departure .
Of course I know that I should expect some damages such as linen or towel staining ... but what about the rest ? I should mention that all my guests were very cooperative , nice people and did follow my house rules ( except for not leaving the garbage bag on the marble floor) ... so I didn't mention any of this.... should I do it in the future.... or just deal with it ? ...that is the question ... 🙂
Thank you @Emiel1 and @Robin4 

What other answers/advice did you get? That is a hell of a lot of damage.  Was this from one booking? Or several? In your settings, you can require a designated amount as a security deposit for damage. (I set it to $100). It isn't paid as part of the booking but it allows you to file a claim afterwards and then I assume the guest is charged. I've not actually filed any claims so I'm not sure how it works. 

Since my original post, I've been fortunate to have very minor things happen since. And my post was minor too. One thing I think that makes a difference in my case is that I rent a room in the home I live in. They are not alone here. They have to face me so I think people are more careful in that case.

I've been a host now for 9 months and love it. My next issue of concern is TAXES.

Good luck. Hope I've helped a little.

A tiny bit late for a thank you... But Thank you! @Mary1387

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Use white towels and linens. Sorry, but you can`t prevent this to happen. The modern cosmetics contains chemistry, that is very aggressive to colors.

Thanks Dimitra , that is what I use but sometime they leave it pretty messed up.