New AirBnB legislation in Ireland

Conor16
Level 1
Sandymount, Ireland

New AirBnB legislation in Ireland

Hi there,

Has anyone seen any offical communication from AirBnB about the new legislation?

What happens if you already have more than 90 days booked in the calendar year?

What happens if you have maybe 80 nights reneted by June 1st.... can you then just rent for 10 more?

Any help would be appreciated.

Conor

2 Replies 2
Eamon3
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Conor, I am really surprised that you have received no comment or reaction to your conversation starter. 

Many months ago, Air BnB circulated a submission that they had made to government as a result of the government considering a crackdown on Air BnB lettings.  The report gave facts and details and was an attempt to persuade the government that restricting Air BnB letting was not going to do anything to help solve the housing crisis.

Apart from that report, I have heard nothing from Air BnB since the legislation was drawn up which I believe comes into effect in July of this year.

Earlier this month, (May 5th) the following artiocle appeared in the Irish Times written by a Dublin based Air BnB Executive.  https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/we-always-welcome-working-with-local-authorities-and-governments-aisli...

Since then I have been trying to get someone from Air BnB to talk to me about the new arrangements without any success.  My experience of recent months is that Air BnB are getting harder and harder to contact.  I wanted to talk to Air BnB Ireland yesterday about the upcoming change in the law and after calling a Dublin number (01), I ended up speaking with Angel in the Philippines.

I have found in recent months that 

1. The Air BnB Facebook page on occasion just refuses to answer questions (they used to be very good and efficient) and when they do reply that they are referring you on, quite often you never hear from anyone.  I got such a message yesterday and now over 24 hours later, I am still waiting for someone to get in touch.
2. Angel in the Philippines knows nothing about my/our Air BnB situation in Ireland so it is pointless and misleading for Air BnB to give out this number to contact Air BnB in Ireland.
3. I never received an email that Angel in the Philippines said she was going to send to my account email.
I am a Superhost and I would have expected a more professional response from Air BnB.

Conor, do you have any secret formula to contact a living being in Air BnB Ireland?

Part of the article states:

" introducing restrictive caps on the primary homes of local people and complicated notification and planning approval requirements"

Do you Conor or anyone out there, know exactly what are these restrictive caps on priimary homes?  Are there any web links which explain the detail?   I live in my own home and receive guests here.  I do not have any 2nd property, this is my home where Air BnB activity and income allows us to live in a large dwelling that is very expensive to maintain.  Without the regular Air BnB income I am in trouble with maintaining this house.

I am hoping that I can get some help in Contactinmg Air BnB and secondly in having the details of the new legislation explained to us.

Many thanks

Eamon, sscc

Tiarnan0
Level 1
Galway, Ireland

Does anyone know how it may affect granny flat annexes?