Not sure how to review

Not sure how to review

Hello, 

We just had our first guests and I'm not sure what to say in our first review.  They were not the worst after reading some other experiences.  There was No prior communication other that the booking, our reply, and check in details day of.  They said there would be 6 guests and there were 8.  How do you handle that?  Or does that matter to you?  We are set up for 6 and don't want any more than that.  Any suggestions?  

They didn't leave it too bad but I don't really have anything good to say, but the bad just sounds petty.  They did leave a review and I have not yet.  Why wait until it gets closer to the 14th day?

One other thing that seems to make a differnce, we are in California and our house is in Texas.  So I've only seen through facetime and photos.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Frank & Monique, 79 views & no responses? Shame on our community! Your guests violated your house rules by having 2 people over your stated limit, I wouldn't want to host them & you probably don't want them back, it's past the review time limit but I'd give a mediocre review and tap the would not recommend if it were me. I would not give a good review, hope it all went as well as possible, Sally

@Sally221 Thank you for your response.  I had to make a decision and  leave a basic review.  They fortunately didn't damage anything.  It was a learning experience, as they were our first guests.

We're not sure if being hosts is our thing yet.   

Thanks again and I do totally agree with you.

Monique

Cara59
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

Hi there.  This is a difficult situation and I am dealing with the same, only my guest wrote the most horrendous review, makng up the entire review. I can only guess she is emotionally unstable.  Who knew.

Any way, my husband greeted the guests, as I was out of town.  My husband was firm, kind, but firm,

and made a point that they were unpaid for and unexpected. And we don't allow our sofa to be slept on.

The booking guest did not show up, and other folks did but she left the review;  we contacted airbnb and she trashes airbnb and us in the review and said she would pay but didn't. Was it all worth it?  In retrospect no. If i were there I might have been ridiculously gracious and saved the situation but my husbands style is different. It is our pride and joy, an expensive home, and he will not ever tip toe to disrespectful guests. One time a family showed up with five childrent that were not included in the res, he was piping mad, I saved the situation by softening everything, telling them their vaca was the most important thing and we will work around the situation.  They paid us, they also said to me that their home was now our home, and if we ever needed anything the mother was a double board certified doctor at the Mayoclinic. She was so grateful that I was so kind.  The good cop/bad cop is handy sometimes, and came naturally to me. 

Leave an honest review is my suggestion. It doesn't matter, their review, if already written will say what it says regardless of your review. I am usually abundantly kind, as it is my spiritual training, but honestly is also our responsibility.  I something leave private messages for younger folks as a learning experience and things usually have to be really bad for me to truly "trash" someone as has happened two or three times in 7 years.  I will sometimes wait until the offender writes a review then give them my honest opinion. At least once or twice bad guests had the good sense not to write a review and I let it go, without writing it  back. Hope this helps. i am wondering how I will get my horrific, untrue, slanderous review deleted, a cease and desist order?  I wish you luck.

@Cara59 thank you for your response.  I didn't leave a bad review just vague.  Thankfully they didn't destroy anything and were hardly at the house.  

We're not sure if being hosts is for us yet.

Thanks again and I hope it all works out for you too.  It really is such a shame people are so thoughtless and rude.  And truly have no regard or appreciate others things..  I'm a CA correctional Officer by day and you'd think this wouldn't still surprise me, but it DOES...

Monique

@Frank-And-Monique0  Unfortunately it appears to be past the time limit for reviewing your guests; I hope you have done so already and left an appropriately negative review. The fact of the matter is, your listing states a maximum of 6 people, and these guests fraudulently booked it for more than you could accommodate - leaving you exposed to liability and noise issues, potentially voiding your Host Guarantee (please read the fine print), and perhaps even sleeping on surfaces such as upholstery which haven't been designated for this use.

Ideally a guest who has willfully misrepresented their party could be turned away as a guest cancellation, subject to the terms of your policy. Unfortunately, Airbnb is likelier to grant guests a full refund if they aren't allowed to check in. And if you aren't physically onsite, you may not be able to know what's going on in the house until it's too late. So the best you can do here is warn other hosts about these guests, and also add more House Rules to cover your butt for future scenarios. For one thing, an Extra Person charge can be applied retroactively if the number of guests exceeds the number booked, so you should add one. Also, it helps to have a rule stating "only the number of guests named and paid for in the original booking are permitted on the property," so that you have grounds to expel these Trojan Horse Guests who bring in a bunch of people you didn't agree to host.

@Anonymous   Thank you for the guidance.  As they were our very first guests and they fortunately didn't damage anything.  We let it go as our first experience.  I did make the change in wording to 6 guests maximum after their stay.

We are still up in the air if running an Airbnb is for us.  

Thank you Again for this information.  It will certainly help.

Monique

@Frank-And-Monique0   It may not be so much that running an Airbnb isn't for you, but I think it would be really hard to run an Airbnb remotely, like you are trying out. It seems that the hosts who have the least problems are those who either rent out space in the homes they live in, or have a separate Airbnb property either on the same property where they live, or very close by. Then you can keep an eye on things and jump on it if guests aren't behaving respectfully. 

I just list a private room/bathroom in my home for one guest at a time and I've had really lovely and interesting guests and have throroughly enjoyed hosting.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Frank and Monique, I hope your next guests are splendid. There are other booking sites by the way & if you aren't in a position to keep a pretty close eye on your space  I wouldn't recommend using instant book. Personally I only use it because I am on site and make that fact crystal clear when I communicate with  potential guests.  It's better to not get the booking than to have an unpleasant, destructive guest. Best of luck in attracting  lovely respectful people-they are out there  Sally