Our guest was unable to come, due to car breaking down

Robert-And-Bel--My-Partn0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Our guest was unable to come, due to car breaking down

Our guest who was due to arrive today just messaged us saying that after breaking down on their way to us and they had to be transported by their breakdown service back to their home. They are of course very dissappointed as they were due to stay for a week....  But we are not sure where this leaves the booking...  will they ask for a refund?  (we have a 'strict' cancellation policy)...  Would Aribnb refund in these sort of circumstances I wonder and will we need to re-list our property as available?   We did wonder why the guest did not try to come anyway by taxi or other transport (but then they must have had to stay with their vehicle)

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed

Thanks very much,

Bel and Robert

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You might find that they are covered by AirBnB's extenuatinig circumstances policy - hard to know in this case and it also depends on whether or not they contact AirBnB. Or they may have an insurance policy that covers them for this.

However, you are unable (and unlikley) to sell the room at this late stage if they do not cancel.

Personally I would view it from how I would like to be treated. Yes, you had a paid for booking, but they had a problem. I would probably offer some refund  - or alternatively offer them a significant discount on a future stay perhaps?

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Do NOTHING until they formally cancel through Airbnb

Do not cancel on your end.

Do not give them back any money until you get a new booking.

You may choose to discount the rate for this period.

Then and only then should you offer a rebate, because then you will know what your damages are

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello 

Let the guest know you are sorry this happened and if they can get their car on the road, you would welcome them tomorrow. I would message them through Airbnb, so there is a record you are happy to honour the booking.

Say that if they want to cancel the booking, they can do so, and that Airbnb will handle in line with your cancellation policy. However, if they do this and you can rebook any days you will offer a partial refund.

If Airbnb decide to cancel under the extenuating circumstances they will need to provide proof via AA or similar of the breakdown.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Also, although this is sad, many guests have come to see that if they come up with a really good excuse (relative in hospital, kid's sudden illness, etc.) they are more likely to be refunded. There is no way to know if what the guest says is true or not, but based on some of the stories on these pages, it is fair to be a bit suspicious.