Per person cleaning fee

Massimiliano3
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Per person cleaning fee

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to set a per person cleaning fee. That's because I face significant costs for laundry (I provide bed linen and towels) and I would like to charge guests per person, instead of setting a very high cleaning fee in order to cover higher costs for bigger groups. Any ideas? Cheers, Max

7 Replies 7
Shadley0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Massimiliano3

Airbnb only allows you to set a cleaning fee for the entire trip. You could also state in your listing that u offer daily cleaning or per person cleaning but that wont go through the airbnb system. Im also not sure if its actually allowed under the TOS.

Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

There's no way to do that. Your price for extra guest should reflect the cleaning fee and your basis price (+ clean) should reflect the price for mininum guests you set. 

Matthew99
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

This is all fine and good if your guest total ranges between 4 and.. say... 12.. or something like 3x the base cleaning fee.

If it ranges between 4 and.. say.. what I have.. 24 guests...  Then it's just a bad, novice decision on airbnb's part to not have cleaning per guest.  There's no way to make an average between 4 and 24 that doesn't either diswade smaller groups, or cost you for larger groups.

Thanks for the explanation, but please save the excuses.

Explain in your description how you will apply cleaning/person or per person charges of any type.  As long as you dont have instant booking on, you can calculate the rate and send the enquirer the total amount via the "Send Special Offer" facility.  A special offer doesnt just mean a discount!

I insist that a weekly cleaning fee applies for longer stays.  So, if someone books 2 weeks, their Special Offer includes a second charge of cleaning fees.  I do this for two reasons: 1) keep the standard of my place up by ensuring its cleaned at least once a week and 2) check on the place to ensure its not been misused.

For shorter stays, and for clean guests, I offer a refund outside the ABNB system.  Not ideal (guests need to suppy a PayPal/bank account), but the only way I can see doing it.

AirBnB is just too inflexible!

@Marcus33 hm... just a thought.... instead of sending special offer for another cleaning fee every week you could just remove or lower your weekly discount 

Booking.com has different cleaninig fee options - per stay, per day and per person. ABB doesn't have additional options so we have to figure out how to handle it.

You can set your cleaning fee to cover the cost of cleaning the apartment + loundry service for 2 guests. Then, additional loundry service cost for additional guests can be coverd by additional accomodation price for every person after 2.

@Branka-and-Silvia0....You girls never cease to amaze me...brilliant solution!!!

Cheers....Rob

Reasonable suggestion.  Adding a weekly cleaning fee allows me to check the property for longer stays.  I guess you can just drop in to make sure everything is ok, but cleaning the property once a week at least ensures you're onto any problems.

The issue with a per person fee is that I have already found extra people staying even though they arent booked (I'm not a resident host).  So far, this hasnt been a problem: I dont charge per person, so avoiding any hassles with guests.  Its difficult for me to be at the check-in, so I accept this, but I am well aware that there could be issues in the future.  Only leasing to verified and reviewed guests insulates me for now.