Portland taxes

Aimee31
Level 2
Portland, OR

Portland taxes

Portland and San Francisco are different than all other cities in that AirBNB says they are collecting and paying this tax on our behalf, listing it as a line-item on the rental listing (https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it).

I do not see this on our listing. I also do not see this on my host dashboard anywhere. I suspect I am now going to have a large tax bill at the end of the year.

Does anybody know what the true status of this is? Can someone tell me where I can go to see my listing's tax situation? 

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Accommodations Tax (Oregon) Accommodations Tax (Multnomah) Accommodations Tax (Portland)

According to your listing.

David

Thank you for that! I cannot view the billing info on my listing. 

@Aimee31 If you go to your Pricing tab (in the full web version, not App) there is a “see what a guest pays” feature. That function will show you all the extras in your guests’ bills 

On the full web version, if I go to Listing > Pricing, I do not have that feature/link. This is why I was concerned. I couldn't find any information on what the customer paid and every mention of taxes on my dashboard just took me to the info page on occupancy taxes.

It looks like, in Portland, our guests will pay 11.5% (combined Portland and Multnomah Co. occupancy taxes) and a 2.8% Oregon occupancy tax on both the listing amount AND the cleaning fee on top of what we charge.

(digress) Considering the cleaner is then also taxed on their earnings, I'm surprised Airbnb can't find a way to only apply occupancy tax to the listing. 

Joy15
Level 5
Portland, OR

Aimee, I can only say that I my airbnb taxes in Portland OR are paid each time the guest pays. I've been doing this for a few years and I've never been charged for taxes retroactively. But if you have any question about this, you should call Airbnb headquarters. 

Our state and Multnomah County taxes are higher than most. I found this on the airbnb site today (February 2019).  Bottom line is we pay 1.8% to the State and 11.5% to Multnomah County = 13.30% of earnings. For example: $99 for 3 nights + $60 cleaning fee = $357 minus 13.30% = $39.50 in taxes. We are paid $317.50. 

See https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2324/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-oregon

State of Oregon

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in the State of Oregon will pay the following taxes as part of their reservation:

• Oregon Transient Lodging Tax: 1.8% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 29 nights and shorter. 1.8% is the State imposed tax rate only. For detailed information, visit Oregon.gov.

Multnomah County

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in Multnomah County, OR will pay the following taxes as part of their reservation:

• Multnomah County Transient Lodging Tax: 11.5% of the listing price including any cleaning fee for reservations 30 nights and shorter.
  • 11.5% is the maximum Transient Lodging Tax for listings in Multnomah County (excluding the State level tax). For example, for Portland listings that are also located in Multnomah County, the Portland Transient Lodging Tax is 6% and the Multnomah County Transient Lodging Tax is 5.5%. For detailed information, visit PortlandOregon.gov.

Hello,

I'm new to hosting in Portland and I did not add any fees to my listing. Should I add tax to the cost at checkout or does Airbnb add automatically based on my zip code?

Also, do I need to apply for a business license in order to get my ASTR permit? I'm only planning to host one summer, so it is not really going to be an ongoing business for me.

Thank you!

Kate

I am a host in Washington County, with a Portland address. Thus, my guests are being charged a tax fee when they shouldn't be and I am required to fill out appropriate City of Portland permits etc. when I should not be required to do so. I am neither in the Portland city limits, nor in Multnomah county. Does anyone have any suggestions how to remedy this situation.

I wrote Airbnb and of course I heard not a word from them. 

Thanks,

Christa