Potential guest not able to book one-night stay

Shannon1
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Potential guest not able to book one-night stay

Hi all,

I have a potential guest, friend of a friend of a friend, trying to book my place for a one-night staycation, but Airbnb isn't letting him book because they think his booking looks like a "party" booking. He even tried to book a second night, but still no luck. He is 35 years old, and I thought the party policy only applied to guests under age 25! How can I help him book?

Thanks!

Shannon

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Shannon1 Temporarily change your listing to shared space.

Shannon1
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Colleen253 thank you so much! 

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Shannon1  I've never come across this and I get quite a high turnover in one night guests, usually male and on business trips or family visits. I guess it's because mine is a shared place.  I'm learning many things from this forum. I hope Colleen's suggestion will solve the problem.

Shannon1
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Anthony223when I read Airbnb’s new(ish) policy about party bookings it said it applies only to “entire places” not “shared spaces” because people can’t host a party if they are renting a shared space. Very frustrating that hosts don’t get to use their own discretion and decide whether or not to accept a booking on or new a holiday such as New Years Eve! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shannon1 

Came across exactly the same thing 3 nights ago, Guest wanted to book 30th December for one night and was unable too.

I got onto support and they told me the booking algorithm was seeing it as a party booking being so close to NYE  and I had to realise this was for my protection.

I explained that I was comfortable with the guest, the booking was not for NYE which I had already blocked and my cottage (although listed as an entire guest suite) is a part of the main residence and I asked support if they could reach out to the guest, override the algorithm and facilitate the booking. Support said that was not possible so, I directed the guest to another site and the booking was put in place without any further drama.

Shannon, If Airbnb are going to treat us as idiots they are going to have to be prepared to pay the price!

Cheers........Rob

Shannon1
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

@Robin4 whoa! That’s nuts. Thank you for letting me know! This booking was also for Dec. 30th and the potential guest is also a Superhost on Airbnb! Good to know. I will direct him to another booking site also! Thank you and happy new year 🙂

Sami459
Level 3
Denver, CO

If it's a friend of a friend and someone you trust, then why even bother with AirBnb? Just have them VenMo you and call it day 🙂