Racist Rallies Near Me (in San Francisco!)

Bill133
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Racist Rallies Near Me (in San Francisco!)

Neo-Nazis plan a rally here and VRBO has been amazingly proactive.  I can't reach anyone at airbnb directly and hope they will do something similar to what VRBO has posted. See below:

"If you are concerned that travelers you have booked on our platform may be in violation of this policy and you wish to cancel, please contact us at 877-228-3145and HomeAway will take the necessary action to cancel the booking and alert the traveler. (Note: If you feel the need to cancel due to a possible policy violation, your overall search ranking will not be impacted.)"

22 Replies 22
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What is the policy?

"No Nazis!" (at least that is MY policy!) It falls under "Uncomfortable with guest" I would assume... 

My husband and I are gay (and left-leaning) and would NEVER, EVER host Neo-Nazis or their like-minded ilk. I don't care if I would be delisted! I would rather be delisted than enable hate! If I am told to accept AirBnB's non-discrimination policy from everything from skin color to religion to gender to emotional animal support, I would think they would have this issue covered in their TOS! (and I am NOT saying the AirBnB's Non-discrimiation policies are bad...I am saying that one would think they would cover hate as well!)

Just my $.02!

I will say this: We are open minded and as long as you are not out to kill us or take away our rights you are free to stay at our property. My point was one would think that AirBnB would've had this covered!

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Jann3

Have you heard about misterbnb? I hear it is the gay version of airbnb?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

How do you know the Guest is a Nazi?

David

Not saying I wouldn't allow the booking - because I *wouldn't know* ahead of time, but if they arrived and they showed and/or indicated those tendancies, I would call AirBnB and tell them I was uncomfortable with the booking. They would back me under their "uncomfortable" policy. I don't care if I would lose the money.

Do guests often show show or indicate their tendancies?

David

Perhaps he's getting daily reports from the Dream Police. 

I understand they will put you on their mailing list if you ask.

@David126  I think you would try find out if these guests were Neo-Nazis...and not wait until they have checked in and put on white polos and light tiki torches. If they are having a rally in my area (and I hope that will never happen) I think I'd find out by asking them directly at the time of booking and then refuse to accomodate them if they affirm their participation in that organization.

I have about 20 reservations coming up, and am slightly concerned how I would ask them without coming across as somewhat odd?

David

@David126@Bill133

I would simply do this: Send a message to your future bookings saying "Recently we became aware of rallies in the area protesting confederate statue removals and/or promoting hate groups (as defined by Southern Poverty Law Center). While we understand *and* believe in freedom of speech, we are an inclusive household and prefer that anyone representing beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people - typically for their immutable characteristics - not stay with us. This would make both us and our guests uncomfortable. Just in case you are wondering, this definition will be included in our House Rules and - if our guests participate in functions promoting hate - we will contact AirBnB and ask that they be reaccomodated." 

I wonder, @Lizzie, would this be within AirBnB guidelines?

That's a well worded proviso. I think it's a slippery slope between free speech and hate speech that incites, provokes, promotes violence and injury like yelling "Fire!" in a crowded space.  One has to be careful not to abolish debate, etc. as the ACLU tries to do, sometimes at the risk of defending the indefensible. 

I'd prefer it if Airbnb itself made a statement we could use. Similar to yours.

But then it wouldn't be idiosycratic and just a matter of this or that renter setting limits or conditions but a principled statement on behalf of all of us.

Thanks for the thoughtful input.

Many of my guests are on road trips it seems, perhaps I should keep track of their reason for staying with me, I usually ask what brings them my way but not always, sometimes they are chatty sometimes not. I mainly use IB.

I have certainly had people heading to the west coast, most unlikely they would attending an event near me that would fall foul of the AirBnB policy.  

I did have a quick look on the SPLC site for my State, there are not many groups mentioned, some I have never heard of and seem to be tiny, also groups that would fall foul of the ABB policy that are not mentioned as far as I could see.

When people sign up for AirBnB they have to agree to AirBnB policies so seems to be double dipping to ask them again.

David

I guess, if you do instabook.  In my experience the customer is always right, even if they are a criminals and the staff at Airbnb doesn't know their own policies. Airbnb has never had my back, even when they said they did.