Reservation cancelled by host after learning that guests didn't meet our terms

Kathleen8
Level 1
Bar Harbor, ME

Reservation cancelled by host after learning that guests didn't meet our terms

We are Superhosts and strive to maintain that status.
This spring, for the first time ever we had to cancel a guests request because they didn't meet the terms of our rental.

Specifically we make it clear that our space is not suitable for infants, for safety reasons. Immediately after they booked their stay we discovered that they would be traveling with an infant. We contacted them and explained our policy. They understood, and we cancelled their reservation. I would suggest that this was a case of extenuating circumstances. Who do I contact at AIRB&B to correct this? I can't find a contact link.

5 Replies 5

It's not extenuating circumstances, @Kathleen8 .  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

You also cannot discriminate against families by denying them when traveling with an infant.  You can tell the guest all the reasons that having a baby on site is a horrible idea, but they get to assume the liability should they choose to stay.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclus...

Now, you have some options: 

First, require that all people  are counted in the headcount of guests.  We require this and that means a couple traveling with their toddler cannot stay with us because our max guest amount is 2.  Babies under 2years old are somehow seen by Airbnb and not needing to be counted nor do they charge for them.  It's BS - someone renting a single room with their newborn triplets - ridiculous!  So you have to be more crafty if this happens. 

Second, when someone books with an infant/baby, tell them in unflattering terms, why staying with you is a bad idea.  We tell them about: 

1. the lead paint,
  2. the open fireplaces,
  3. the insulation in those fireplaces that is easily accessible, sometimes bits fall out - please look at the pictures of the 115-year-old brick, the concrete hearth, and we have 3 of them, one in your room, 
  4. our dog,
  5. the fact that NONE of the furniture is attached to the walls creating a fall-hazard,
  6. that our hardwoods are historic and sometimes splinter which would be bad for baby's feet, knees, or hands,
  7. we've never had children so we do not know how to create a place where children live, so our house is set up for adults only with expensive furnishings and antiques - which they would be financially responsible if damaged,
  8. that we have ZERO baby-proofing and alcohol, outlets, dangerous knives, and cleaners are within reach of little hands, 
  9. the floors are uneven so a toddler could easily trip and fall into any number of sharp corners
  10. that since we would be worried about them and the security of their child, we would feel compelled to be on hand resolving issues 24/7 and we don't think they would be able to relax with our hovering around, 
  11. plans we might have for that night which will require us to come in after 10pm and their room is right by the front door, which might wake the baby, 
  12. AND if they haven't cancelled yet, we remind them that we have STRICT quiet hours between midnight and 7am so a crying baby cannot be in the house or it would be a violation of house rules that may require them to leave immediately.

You make it uncomfortable to bring a child, tell them all the ugly reasons why, and don't sugar-coat that it's not a good fit. You cannot choose for them, unfortunately, but it's no skin off your back to make your property sound crappy and dangerous so they self-select to cancel.    

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kathleen8   I see that you have already cancelled the reservation.  While I agree that your reason is not an extenuaing circumstance, any time you need to cancel a guest, always go through Air BNB.  I am surprised you do not have a specific Super Host contact number given at the time you qualified for that status but perhaps Air BNB has stopped doing that.  Here is the general guide for contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Alice-and-Jeff0    All excellent points!  We also have a strict "no children policy" ever since a nightmare weekend when we first started hosting.  A guest brought two under two-year-old into our guesthouse, claiming that she didn't have to disclose them upon booking because it is "Airbnb policy".  To make a long story short; one fell into our inground pool, the other almost down the stairs, and our guesthouse was a mess with inkpen marks on couches, walls etc.  Needless to say, we will NOT ever host another infant again(except our grandchildren).

Since Airbnb is not much help, I ask every guest to disclose if there are any infants andf children or pets traveling with them.  If there are I simply politwly decline, citing that the premises are not suitable for infants. So far, everyone we had to decline completely understood--to any normal parent, the safety of their child is paramount. 

@Ann489 - I'm pretty sure that they must disclose that infants under 2 are traveling with them.  There is no cost to the guest for this, but they can't do it on the down low. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Yes, you are absolutely correct; they are supposed to.  This guest just didn't seem to think so.  😉