Selling food to guests

Selling food to guests

I'm a new host and am not familiar if I could sell prepackage food which I buy from Costco (microwavable food, instant noodles, chips, energy bars etc) , coffee, tea etc. to guests as I feel there is a great need for it as most of my group are 4 to 6 people.

How could I do it through the airbnb system which collect the money for me or I have to do it myself and collect payment directly from guests which I have not figured out a way how to make it simple. as yet.

Or is there any restriction from airbnb about doing this at all?

Is there a thread in the community related to ethis topic?

Thank you for your help.

29 Replies 29
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Air BNB does not restrict your extra charges, but there may be restrictions in your area, @Hao11.  Check your local requirements.  So if your description states you have XX for an additional fee, then if a guest is interested, you advise the guest that there is a charge and modify the reservation  by checking the "send or request money" on the reservation and Air BNB will add the charge.  Be careful not to list it as an amenity as amenities are expected to be included in the nightly rate.  Hope this helps.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Hao11 Yes, it’s a revenue stream for your business. I was chatting with another host about this today. 

Most large hotel properties are divided into categories with sub groups under those categories. 

For instance, you have Front office and food and beverage ( f&b). F&B is your restaurant, room service, bar...anything like that. Front office is your room suite. 

So if you’re running a business, sort of like a hotel, would you make more revenue selling food and not just a room? That’s the important question here.

The small amounts earned from meal service and selling snacks can add up quickly.

If your listing supports that, I say go for it and help your business grow. 

You can vacuum seal seal food in a food saver when you buy it in bulk from Costco and break it down.

They had whole pineapple for a dollar last week on sale and I sealed a few gallon bags and froze them.

anyway, yes, make money and use the send-request money feature. A set menu would go a long way too in helping plan ahead. You can send the menu to the guest in advance an see if thy are interested in meal service. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Quetzalli0
Level 1
Commerce Charter Twp, MI

Has anyone offered like a snack menu or small meals to your guests? I would like to add something fresh and home-made for the guests that stay longer than two days. But I’m not sure what kind of permits I might need? 

Jackie570
Level 6
Green Bay, WI

In my area you would need a foodservice license (like a restaurant has) from the county health department. Be sure to check your local laws to make sure you are allowed to sell food of any kind to your guests.

Rachel1891
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

Well im very new ro this airbnb thing I only have 1 bedroom with a full bed do I say 2 or 1 person allowed?

I only allow 1 person per room. It's on my greeting page. This cuts down on noise in our home. We advertise it as quiet. If a guest is married or has someone traveling with them there's plenty other Airbnbs in our area.. Ive never had an issue and I sleep with no noise.  A double bed is still fine for a couple.  Years ago that's what couples slept in. 

Rachel1891
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

Of course I could not afford any vending machines small or big I don't mind doin bagels and cream cheese in the am for free but I want to sell the chips chocolate nuts etc also lil nip bottles is that a good idea ?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachel1891 

Rachel, Welcome to Airbnb and I hope you can make a success of your hosting like many of us have. I know you say you can't afford a vending machine, but don't consider that path now, or in the future. Many guests would see a vending machine as something of an insult, it doesn't fit with the concept of home hosting. It would make you look like a money hungry host.

As far as food is concerned, unless you have a government approved food handling licence you are only permitted to provide fresh food items that are in manufacturers sealed packaging. You can provide loose biscuits/ crackers, nuts, fruit, eggs, bread. But any perishables such as bacon, milk, butter, cheese, juice, salads must be provided in un-tampered sealed containers. You can't pour a bit of milk into a jug, take a few bacon rashers out of that 2 Kg pack and wrap them in plastic, cut a bit of cheese off the block and put these things in the fridge. These items must be supplied in the sealed packaging they left the manufacturers premises in. Even chocolate must be supplied in it's sealed wrapping. 

Alcohol, of course, cannot be sold without a liquor licence, even giving it to guests as a welcome gesture can be taken as part of the rental sales agreement if you mention it in your listing description.

Your best course of action is to work out what you want to supply to guests and base your listing price around the cost of supplying those things, don't charge them as extras. 

Certain things are regarded as essentials, like water, tea, coffee, small pack of biscuits.

I provide a lot in the way of condiments for my guests, but I have been able to negotiate good deals with local suppliers on what I supply and my restock very rarely comes to more than $10 per guest night......and I add that to my listing amount.

IMG20180317111535.jpg

In addition to a block of chocolate, this is fairly typical of what each guest gets on arrival.  I don't just leave them in a box like that, the eggs, bacon, milk, cheeses, water, fruit juice are in the fridge, the fruit in a fruit bowl, nuts and crackers of a cheese board, bread and butter on a tray. I have set it up so that if guests comes in late they can virtually make a satisfying light meal without having to go out and search the neighbourhood for something to eat.

Almost ever item in that box is the result of special negotiation. I have a deal with one of the major local supermarkets, when cheeses get within a week or so of their best before date, or the packaging has become somewhat 'handled' in the display cabinet I get them for a maximum 50c per cheese. I can turn on a $30 cheese plate for less than $1. 

It pays to do it this way because almost every guest in the review process comments on what is supplied, and that brings lots of future business.

Sorry this is a but long but Rachel, hospitality is a big part of what we do. Set yourself a 'signature', something that makes your place stand out from the rest and you will be guaranteed a steady stream of future guests!

Cheers........Rob

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Rachel1891, I lay out snacks and wine for my for guests.  Our listing is only close to very expensive markets which have limited hours.  I price my listing to include for my snacks: coffee, cream, butter, popcorn, oatmeal, chocolate, pancake mix and real maple syrup, sometimes eggs and Trader Joes frozen croissants. Its always appreciated.

I know as a guest, I frequently have flight delays, I'm always so happy to have coffee and a small snack.  My point is , why don't you just price your listing to include a few snacks and beverages, it surprises people and makes them happy even if they don't take them.  My husband and I laugh that we usually end up with more beer than was left to the guests, we just pass it on to the next one.

Hello 

what payment method do you use for your guests? Would PayPal work? I would like to add in little snacks and local treats to sell to my Airbnb guests but don’t know what pay method to use?

Rachel1891
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

Michelle1851

Hey thanks for responding I do plan on having free water tea coffee and bagels and cream cheese 

The room is a pretty nice size so I made the closet a make shift kitchen.  I know when people get off the plane their tired and just want to eat and sleep ...but they also want a drink 🤣 so I wanna sell nips I even thought of a way to do it and get paid let me know if you want to know how without buying a exspensive vending machine

I definitely would like your input on things I'm gonna attach a pic and you let me know I make baskets for a living so each guess will receive a welcoming basket it would only be 1 or 2 guess at a time so the liquor license won't be needed it won't be a bar setup im not money hungry but I would like to make some money being by the atl airport helps but I really only can charge 90$ a nite so to make up for the baskets I have to sell the snacks it would be a snack pack like chips nuts candy in 1 box  ok yall feedback please🤣🤣

20210721_000252.jpg

Here's a pic of the make shift kitchen 

20210722_221316.jpg

Rachel1891
Level 2
Riverdale, GA

Also use of the washer dryer as you see im supplying the soap full bathroom 65 inch tv alexa will turn on and off the lights speaker in the bathroom iron iron board

I'm fair  yall let me know if I'm Givin to much

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I think selling food to guests would be really tacky for my listing.

We leave snacks and wine for each stay after consulting with the guests to see if they have allergies or don't drink. We used to have a relationship with a local winery where we would feature their products for a discount, but we never sold anything to a guest. Certainly we have driven business to local farms, shops, restaurants and wineries by stating where the items originate. We also leave ample bath products including a bath bomb, bath petals, various soaps, washes, shampoos, salts, laundry pods, towels, coffee pods, coffee, tea, eggs, condiments, a fire log in fall and winter, fresh flowers, etc etc.

If I were staying in an Airbnb and a host wanted to charge me for a snack I would think it was the height of cheapness. Particularly if it was some kind of bulk item they obviously got from the local big box warehouse store. Likewise if someone tried to sell me products or baskets when I was just coming to relax or sleep in the space I would be very put off. I am also not someone who eats the mini bar snacks at hotels, though I do make ample use of room service. 

The ONLY exception I can see to trying to create an additional revenue stream with item sales would be t shirts or some kind of sticker/mug promotional item. And that is only if your space is really unique and has a cute logo. I have also stayed in places that had local artwork or handicrafts featured as part of the decor with pricing and contact info. That can be kind of cool. But asking me to pay for Costco bottled water or a basket full of vending machine snacks or laundry detergent? No way.