Shower pipe broke - no shower for the last day of stay - partial refund?

Merri2
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Shower pipe broke - no shower for the last day of stay - partial refund?

A pipe broke at the shower head and had to be repaired immediately.  The work wasn't completed as I was told it would be, and the shower was unavailable for the guest's last night.  Should I give a partial refund?  If yes, how much?

Thanks!

Merri

5 Replies 5
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

1: How many days was guest booked

2: How "inconvenienced" was guest? Did you let them use your shower (if you are nearby?)

At a MINIMUM I would give 10-15% back of last day as good-faith - even if it was a one-nighter. If guest stayed longer (3-5 days) I would probably comp that last day. Your guests would be thrilled and you would get great review. Something like: "Water pipe broke in shower on our last day. Host immediately repaired but was hamstrung by plumber. Host credited that night because of issues." I know as a guest that's what I would write.

Thanks for the reply Jann!  The guest was in for a week and there was no other shower available.  I was thinking refunding the last night would be the right thing to do.  I'm new to this and appreciate the advice.

First, do the refund of the last night.

Then send the guest (via AirBnB messaging) a note letting them know that you were sorry at the issues they experienced with the shower, and you have refunded the final night of their stay as a good faith gesture. You hope that they will consider the steps you have taken to show how serious you think this situation was and how much you are sorry it impacted their vacation.

Don't make any more of it than it is, though. Don't take it too hard either. You are a host. Your property suffered a break-down when you had a guest. You took care of it immediately and didn't try to profit off of it by not understanding that this DID affect the guest. I am really glad you were gonna give them a credit - and that was your first thought. It makes the rest of us look good!

Done, and done.

Thanks again!

Merri

It will be interesting to see the review.  I've just been told they did some damage to the place requiring a little painting.  =/