Simple electronic door lock

John-and-Djuna0
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Simple electronic door lock

Hi

I am a first time host and plan on listing my home to to be rented. I am in the final stages of getting my home ready to host.

My question is regarding a simple solution to guest access through my front door and was seeking advice for my particular situation.

I have two doors on my “front door.” Meaning, I have a metal security door and a regular front door. I was planning on having a regular deadbolt key on the metal security door and on the regular door having an electronic lock. I planned on keeping the door lock for the security door in a lock box next to the front door.

I would like to get a simple electronic lock for the regular door that I can routinely change change and doesn’t have a limitation on how many times I can change the code. I live about 20 minutes from the property I plan on renting out and can change the code after each guest.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

14 Replies 14
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If you want to spend that $220 or whatever it is to buy one of those locks then go ahead.

All you really need is ONE lock with a changable code. But I would consider changing the dead bolt of that security door if / when you retire from hosting.

Thanks for the response. Do you recommend a lock with infinite changeable codes? The ones I saw at Home Depot can only be changed several times.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Lockstate locks integrate with Airbnb and can automatically generate a new code for every guest.

How do you like this system? We are new to Airbnb and access to the house is our main concern. We live 3 hours from our property so would need to do it remotely. Your feedback is appreciated.

@Linda1197 we've been using it for a year and are pretty happy with it. It automatically generates the codes, triggered by new reservations, and automatically emails each Airbnb guest their code. The locks do not require WiFi, which was important to us. The negatives have been:

Installing locksmith was not impressed with quality of lock.

We had to send one back as it didn't work and the replacement sent was the wrong color; customer service was sloppy and only available during regular business hours.

There is no way to cancel or modify a code once it is delivered to the guest. (Of course, the guest doesn't need to know that.) So guest cancellations and early check-in or late check-out require some management.

The emails it generates seem to end up in guests' spam folders more often than not, so we always send a copy within the Airbnb system.

@Linda1197I installed a Schlage smart lock and purchased a Wink hub to access it remotely via a a phone app. It is inexpensive compared to most and allows me to do everything i wanted to do.

I can lock/unlock the door remotely and track ALL entries and exits. I can change codes anytime and can have up to 20 codes (not sure of the exact number, but it's high) at one time, although you never need that many.

I switched out the deadbolt myself as it was not difficult! The entire "system" cost me under $200 and has made things soooo much easier.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I use this lock on my guest area. I use a personal code for each guest. After twenty codes, you must delete all codes, but then you simply start again. I’ve hosted 100+ guests and only replaced the battery once. You can also delete immediately after each guest and not worry about hitting the 20 code capacity. 

I keep eel an eye out for open box deals and have paid $40-$50 for each of mine. Schlage Camelot Key Pad

Thank you for this. I was looking at this lock today at Home Depot and considered it but I wasn’t sure. So you can change the code as many times as you want? For every guest?

i was confused because it said 19 codes, I wasn’t sure if that was how many times it can be changed or how many codes it can store at once. I was tempted to call Schlage customer service.

Yes, only 19 max at any one time, but unlimited changes.  Kinda like when old fashioned voicemail machines... you had to delete messages to save new ones.  Same concept.  

Schlage or August are the best automated locks to use.

Christina456
Level 2
Dallas, TX

if your deadbolt is aligned perfect then this is the cheapest best lock.  I have several:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Powerbolt2-Satin-Nickel-Single-Cylinder-Electronic-Deadbolt-feat...

if you want to spend a bit more this one is great which i started using

https://www.gokeyless.com/product/touch-camelot-deadbolt/

after it unlocks you manually open close the deadbolt.  this allows for the deadbolt not being aligned perfectly with door.  its also much quieter because there is no mechanical sound of it moving the deadbolt.  

the only disadvantage is that it doesn't allow one time codes like the cheaper one above.  this is a code that only works for one time and then deletes itself.  this feature is great for like maid access.  

chris
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Not sure why the need to add complexity with electronic lock etc.

Simple lockbox from Amz has survived about 500 guests, just msg them with the combo. Easy to change every week or 2 just by pushing lever. Costs $14. I can open it up and fix it if needed. Does not require anything new on door, does not,require internet connection, app etc etc.

New key is $5 if needed. Entire new lock is $20. So far neither has been needed.

Ben3258
Level 1
Wilmington, DE

Please refer www.signstke.com