State and local taxes in Massachusetts

Wendy800
Level 2
Brewster, MA

State and local taxes in Massachusetts

Based on al the posts in the Forum, Air BnB is now collecting taxes.  But when did they start?  I received no notification, so have no idea for which guests I should pay.  If anyone knows, I'd love to hear!  Thanks.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Wendy800 

You can see the tax-payments in your account (Transaction History)

Please read (under "How to check occupancy tax totals"):

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1036/how-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-...

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Bob384
Level 1
Chatham, MA

It was around mid-June that it happened and only applies to people who booked stays on or after July 1.  What we really do not understand is how AirBNB is "remitting" these taxes on our behalf. I just signed in to Mass Tax Connect and they had no record of this.  We paid taxes even for the reservations that AirBNB should have paid for.  I am assuming that maybe we will have to overpay every month and then the state will reimburse the overpayment.

Thomas548
Level 1
Washington, DC

I registured my airbnb and looking at the airbnb website is says to enter your Mass Tax ID but can find out how to do it.  Airbnb legal group told me they collect and file on my behalf but how does the state of Mass know the revenue is associated with my house/Mass Tax ID

@Thomas548  They don't yet. The regulation states that notification by registrant number has to happen by November 2019. Until then, our TaxID number may be used.

I found the place: go to your listing, click on regulations, click on income tax, on that page it says where to enter your Mass Registrtaion number.  BUT!  I have not succeeded and Airbnb support has dead-ended.  

I’m working on this....I have my Mass Tax Connect registration number for room occupancy, I see on the Mass Tax Connect site where each month since July 1 awaits filing and payment.  I have confirmed with Airbnb which bookings .theyve collected tax from guests.  BUT BUT....there is a glitch in the programming on Airbnb’s site where I’m supposed to enter my ROC (room occupancy consolidated) number.  Contact with Airbnb has achieved nothing.  

Has this issue since been resolved?  I am about to register a property with AirBnb for short-term rental purposes, but curious to know if the occupancy tax collection and payment process is now streamlined with Mass Tax Connect/ ID.

Joan310
Level 2
Falmouth, MA

I just got a booking and noticed this in the details: "Your guest paid $____ in Occupancy Taxes. Airbnb remits these taxes on your behalf."  So I go to Mass Tax Connect and fill outb the form that says I owe nothing.  (if that helps you).