Sustainability Awards

Henry10
Level 2
Abingdon, United Kingdom

Sustainability Awards

Dear Airbnb,

It would seem a good idea for Airbnb to promote Eco Tourism and Sustainability in general by offering Sustainability Awards - a visible rosette of recognition to those properties that pass a cretain criteria of sustainability.

We work very hard to manage sustainable properties and lower the carbon emissions of the housing stock on our planet. I know that many other hosts are the same. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8620312?s=crpy7TmH

From compost recycling through to electricity generation, it all takes careful thought and planning to make it work and when it does, it should be recognised. 

I hope this gets heard by Airbnb management.

Henry

6 Replies 6
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Henry10,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

It is great to hear your suggestion here about adding a sustainability award it is a really interesting idea - would you have this displayed similar to the superhost badge?

How do you envision it working, criteria etc. ?

It would be great to get a wider community opinion on this, so please do add your thought to this thread. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Henry10
Level 2
Abingdon, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie,

Yes the Superhost badge was what inspired my thought of the rosette. - Evidently it would need to be a green version! 🙂

First the host applies for their listing to be put forward for Sustainable Recognition. They need to:

Submit details of their initiatives to:

1. save energy
  2. reduce / save water
  3. reduce waste

Provide details of any previous awards and certificates earned for sustainability initiatives

Describe their sustainability journey: when did you decicede to become a sustainable hosted property and why

Then maybe you could have guests do the judging against these points. If your property recieves 4 stars or more on defined Sustainible Criteria, from four different guests, then you get a 'Sustainabile Property Rosette'.

Early stage thoughts but making it interactive between guests and hosts could be fun - let the public decide. 

🙂

I'm trying to move towards chemical free in my Airbnb property (using Enjo microfibre cleaning products where possible and other more eco-friendly cleaning products).  People with illness (chemotherapy) or chemical sensitivities that aggrevate medical conditions or behavioural conditions would sometimes require a chemical free environment.  At the moment it doesn't seem possible to search for properties that would meet this criteria.  Is this something Airbnb would consider?

Janice1
Level 6
Tamaterau, New Zealand

Hi Henry

I really like the notion of sustainability awards.  

I really like the very succinct 3 categories you have suggested.

However, "supporting the natural environment and natural processes" is dear to me.

Here are some examples I practise:

• Planting trees and plants on my property that provides food for native birds and bees
  • Growing and serving fruit that has not been sprayed with chemicals that harm bees
  • Pest control - wasps rats etc
  • Using mulching and leaf litter to increase fertility, hold in moisture and encourage insect and bird life

I realise my suggested category is a complicated notion and perhaps a clever person could re-word it.  I think supporting nature hints at the kind of sustainable world future generations could inhabit.  

Regards

Janice

Regarding sustainable hosting criteria.  There is a high regard for the concept of conservation and sustainability here in Oregon.  The steps I have taken in this area are:

1.  Energy conservation:  Installed highly efficient heat pump system for heating and cooling. This was in compliance with my local energy provider and qualified for state rebates.  The performance of this system has reduced my energy bill by 50% (no kidding) and has not compromised comfort. I also installed LED light bulbs.

2.  Food Sustainablity:  Buying local (or growing) produce, dairy and breads which are also organic. My guests enjoy home made treats and LOVE them!

3.  Environment Protection:  Using cleaners that are non-toxic and concentrated, no aerosol products. Purchasing soaps that are hypo-allergenic and in bulk, limiting amount of plastic bottles discarded. Recycling and composting whenever possible.  This has enabled me to be able to have only biweekly garbage pick up.  WOW!

I'm always looking for ways to improve!  I hope this helps.

Rachel Kyle, Super (Green) Host

Mt. David Home & Mt. David Guest

Cottage Grove, OR 

Julie1785
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Hello 🙂 I am a green blogger and am currently working on compiling a directory of this type of these types of lodging (fragrance-free, toxin-free, sustainablle,etc). It will be on varying levels and each listing will include the areas in which they are going above and beyond. Please message me on my facebook page, gogreenmamas, if you host along these standards or have any in mind that you have stayed at. Thanks!