Unfair reviews by guests

Wolfhard1
Level 2
Windhoek, Namibia

Unfair reviews by guests

Dear all,

I have have been getting mainly good or excellent reviews from guests staying at my self-catering three bedroom apartment at Hibernian Towers in Strand, South Africa.

I received two five star reviews from two female university professors who both stayed for extended periods of time both commending the equipment available in the kitchen. The building is a landmark on the Strand beach and built to very high standards including indoor heated swimming pool on 10th floor. The furnishing and applicances in the apartment are also of very high quality. The unit itself is clearly designated as self-catering although high quality linnen, towels, toilet paper, soap, detergent, cleaning utensils, .. are available for guests.

The pricing I have installed is dynamic pricing by AirBnB so it should be competitive I imagine but it sometimes is as low as R600 (42 USD) per night for three double bedrooms in excellent location.

Nevertheless I received a 2 out of 5 including the message below from a recent guest:

"AVOID THIS PLACE. Described as luxury but is poorly finished. Carpets are filthy or stained, kitchen has limited supplies. There is no wifi and not even a grain of sugar for an arriving guest. Cheap hotels have more luxury than this place. They want you to look past this with great views and pricing. That works for many. But a frequent airbnb person will expect more form their host. The fridge door would not stay closed, the microwave was broken and the blinds did not go up and down. The host became belligerent with me when I dared to complain."

He paid around 56 USD per night for his family of four.

He expected Wifi although it was indicated on the ad that this was not included.

He expected sugar and coffee "packets" although this is a self-catering unit.

He managed to tangle the strings of the blinds, remove the fridge drawer and put it back the wrong way so the fridge would not close and somehow do something to the microwave to make it behave in a strange way and blame all this on me.

He moved beds and sidetables without returning them to original positions.

No previous guests, also the guest that stayed there the previous nights, complained about any of this.

This person then proceded to blackmail me asking for a specific amount of money to be returned. I had never experienced this before. He constantly bombarded me with messages about his bad experience.

He is a host himself with an asking price of 4 times that of mine.

Needless to say his public review does not shine a positive light on my unit and has a dramatic impact on my ratings.

How do you best deal with this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Kind regards

Wolfhard

host Hibernian Towers 507, Strand, Western Cape, South Africa

6 Replies 6

Stop communicating with him outside the airbnb platform. Unfortunately we met people like this time to time. Let it go, a good listing will not be burries with one bad review. 

Thank you for your reply.

I have only messaged with him on AirBnB but yes way to much.

Question, since the microwave was working before him, there is a big chance that he broke it and should technically pay damages. I have obviously not thought about this and would not have moved on it but this guy deserves a good lesson. Is this reasonable?

How can I do this as there is no functionality on AirBnB to do so?

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

The man in question appears to be a host as well. Aren’t Strand and Stellenbosch located in the same general region? Maybe he’s trying to take down some competition, far fetched as that sounds. What was his reason for renting a place so close to home?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I noticed that he is a host yes and Stellenbosch and Strand are about 20km apart. Strand on the beach, Stellenbosch pictoresque university town in the winelands. Both nice but very different.

I think he just wanted to spend a few days on the beach with wife and kids. Personally I think his biggest issue was no WiFi although it is clearly indicated on the advert. He works with Wifi technology every day I found out - it's his job. So he probably fell out of the sky when he found out he booked a place that did not have it. So p'ed off about this he went on searching (creating) additional issues.

His place costs five times more than mine though.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Wolfhard1, when I have guests that do not take time to read anything, I know that their review will be not great. And I put in public answer that reading is helpful. May be it will attract attention of some future guests...

Here’s your mistake. You need to immediately send pictures to the guest through the Airbnb platform. Then you need to bill them for the damage. Use the resolution center. That way if they don’t pay Airbnb can clearly see the photos. And the time you requested damages. You need to make sure you do it before another guest checks in. Then tell Airbnb the review is inaccurate and demand they remove it.