WANT TO THANK YOU ALL HERE IN THE FORUMS

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

WANT TO THANK YOU ALL HERE IN THE FORUMS

I have learned numerous things from these forums that I would otherwise not have known (and perhaps would have fell victim too).

The things I have learned from you folks via this forum:

Never to cancel a booking

A list of penalties for cancelling

If a guest sends me a cancellation request - to say NO!

Things regarding Instant Book

A handful of Airbnb customer service numbers

Some good policy links to read

And a few good hosting tips for around the house!

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTE USEFUL INFORMATION!

41 Replies 41
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dee9, I have just received superhost status for the first time. Now, before people start getting into a heated discussion about whether the assesment for superhost is fair or not, or whether it actually means anything to be a superhost, I want to point out the reason I am mentioning this here is in the spirit of @Dee9's original intention for this post, i.e. to say THANK YOU!

I started hosting in my house a few months ago and was doing pretty well with reviews and ratings, but not quite there in terms of superhost requirements.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I started reading these forums, finding all sorts of useful advice that I would not have come across otherwise, especially from a particular handful of very friendly and knowledgable experienced hosts such as @Amy, @Robin and @Karen & Brian. Following some of that advice helped me to become a better host and I'm pleased with that, whether the superhost badge makes any difference or not.

Thanks again guys for your advice and for patiently responding to my questions with so much good will and good humour.

Ehukai0
Level 3
Aiea, HI

Thank you ! I'm very new to hosting -having my first guest! Why don't you ever cancel a booking ? If the guest initiates?

@Ehukai0many penalties. Even if the guest initiates

Rhona0
Level 3
Saint-Hippolyte, Canada

Yes thank you to everyone too for such good information. I've been a host for almost a year and just became a super host yesterday, but I am nervous now with what can turn up against me as a host including not having the right insurance for Airbnb hosting, including having people claim their vaction costs and not having Airbnb to back me. So far I've had very good people. I did have a revelation though from one host that only accepts short stays, shorter avoids the "fish smell" that happens after 3 days.

I would like to know about the phone numbers for host resources if anyone knows.

Thank you again to everyone, but I am more nervous now.

@Rhona0 , please try not to get nervous now! I know, one can get the jitters once you read some of the horror stories here, but you got lovely reviews, people love your studio - and you made superhost - so you're totally on the right track!

As far as insurance, tax situation, etc, that is up to us hosts to organize and to take care of, as any business owner would have to. most anything you'd want to know about relating to Airbnb is covered in the Airbnb help section online. Yes, their phone numbers are hard to find, dig a bit, also use the search function here, and you'll find a number for Canada in no time.

I see that you have been very successful with your studio, but that renting out the whole house is new for you. If i may, let me just bring up a few points that could possible cause some problems, you might want to define your listing and rules a bit: 

1. the more people you allow in, the more potential trouble..... you suggested that even  10 people could stay there, that is a lot!! Have you thought about renting the two different levels/ units seperately, limitig each to 4 people and charging just as much for each unit as you do now for the whole house? I bet you'd get even more rental requests that way - and more peace of mind!

2. I would be more  specific in what exactly comes with the rental space, it isn't clear to me looking it over, as you also have pics of the studio in your pics of the house. I would not put explanations of the space/ house into your personal profile, but all in the proper sections of the rentals. In case you make 2 units out of the place,  be very clear and consistent in the photos and description. Right now I see  your rental bikes as $25 in your profile, $20 in the house description, and $15 in the studio write up. Which one is it?

3. the more you rent out, the more you also need to make sure you won't get worn out. You might want to consider changing you cancellation settings from flexible to moderate, to have specified check in times, to perhaps remove the trampoline and massage table from the studio . if you have kids coming, that could spell trouble. I also find the long term rental potentially troublesome, especially with the "wrong" people. At my place, I limit stays to 2-4 days. Nothing wrong with having specifics in your house rules.

And now, keep on doing what you're already doing  so well -  good luck!

AnnetteP

Ps: I don't understand what you mean with people claiming their vacation costs and Airbnb not backing you.

Rhona0
Level 3
Saint-Hippolyte, Canada

Thank you very much Annette, I really appreciate you looking over my listing and your feedback is really good. I removed the bikes from the listing because I just found out it's a major risk that I am likely not insured for. That is an excellent idea to keep the 2 units separate and not try to attract large groups of people.

I will go over more details of what you wrote too.

I will look for the post of the person who ended up paying for his hosts' stay for over a month ! - because they were dissatisfied.

Thanks again, it was a pleasant surprise to find this community and have people respond to me. Thanks very very much!

All the best in your hosting too!

Rhona
Rhona0
Level 3
Saint-Hippolyte, Canada

Hi Annette, I found the post I read about guests leaving a bad review and being refunded (for over a month) by the host. The title is: "Bad review from a long-term guest, followed by refund, and there is nothing a host can do?" Peole are encouraging her to persevere to have the payment for the guests' stay reversed.

I noticed this post was on page 1 of 25 more pages. I will venture in deeper down those pages....

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rhona0

Hi Rhona, hey congratulations on your Superhost, great work and you needed to be rewarded!

Just following on from @Annette33's wonderful post, you did say a couple of things that, although you are aware of, did worry me.....Insurance! This is a biggy!

Many hosts think they are going to be covered by Airbnb's host protection scheme....this is a myth! It is a marketing tool which in actual fact offers no protection. It's sort of like having collision insurance and when someone hits you the insurance company says..."You are not covered because you had your car out on the road"....forget all about that.

The worrying thing for me is that most hosts are not aware that if you short term rent and you household insurer finds out, they will cancel your policy because you have altered the scope of the risk that the insurance company accepted when they offered you a policy in the first place!! You mentioned you were worried about insurance, Rhona spend a bit of time to research what short term rental policies are available to you and how they will sit with your regular insurer.

The other thing, you rent out your mountain bikes!....DON"T! Regardless of what insurance cover you may have you will have no liability cover beyond the perimeter of the insured space. If a guest takes one of your maintained bikes out onto a public road and has an accident, or into the hills and falls off your mountain bike and injures themselves seriously, or are in fact hospitalised, you will be responsible for their injuries, liability and the subsequest cost. Companies who rent out equipment have special insurance to cover such risks, you don't! I have heard of hosts who have guests sign 'damage waivers' but these will not stand up in a court of law. It will be argued that you did not maintain the article to a required standard! If possible, form a liason with a local bike shop to rent out your cycles. You could arrange some sort of deal with them for your guests using your bikes but doing it under the umbrella of the bike shops insurance!

I don't want to sound like a 'kill joy' here Rhona but you must protect yourself from all eventualities. I have seen a wonderful family totally destroyed because they didn't have the time or the inclination to insure themselves with liability cover. They lost everything!!

Enough doom and gloom but Rhonda, put the bikes away...it is just not worth the risk!

Wonderful about your superhost, you are obviously a thoughtful caring host and I wish you all the best for this year!

Cheers.....Rob

Rhona0
Level 3
Saint-Hippolyte, Canada

Thanks very much Rob for your advice. I removed the bikes from the listing and will look into the insuarnce for guests. It's funny I found this forum one day after receiving super host status. Il'll take it as a sign to take it more seriously and look after the liabilities and legalities.

One of the first hosts I met has over a douzen properties in the Montreal area. He had taken a year training in property management to learn the legalites. Property managemnet is different than Airbnb I suppose but must be invaluable training that this host has.

Thanks again very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. 

Happy (continued) hosting to you !

Rhona

HI all I'm a new member to the forum. I'm Daniel Samson from VAnuatu whom as one of the member in the team

THanks for joining th team.

Sita4
Level 1
Dunnellon, FL

i would like to thank those that responded to my questions, with such good advice. I have added a security deposit to my listing for peace of mind. Thanks again , Sita

Tony-and-Liza0
Level 3
Lake View, NY

Good Day!

We wish to thank everyone for the time and energy you've spent in sharing your words of wisdom and experiences as Airbnb hosts. It's because of you, and the things we learn here, that we have gained the confidence and ability to truly enjoy being a host.  

Our heartfelt thanks to all of you,

Tony & Liza