What's the most surprising request you've had from a guest?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

What's the most surprising request you've had from a guest?

Sybe_0-1664203421547.jpeg

Hey everyone!

We all have different needs when we go on holiday. These may stem from what you’re used to doing at home, or perhaps what you plan on doing while away. Some of these requests can feel quite “estranged” to the Host, though, so my question to you:

What’s the most surprising request you had from a guest? Did you end up fulfilling the request? 

Let us know in the comments, and I look forward to reading your stories!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Just this week had someone ask if they could cook bacon and eggs in our kitchenette. They are staying 2 nights, in a food/wine region. 
Here's the photo of what it looks like (there's also a mini fridge and another old hutch filled with crockery and wine glasses), but does it look like I want anyone cooking bacon in this space? 😅  
prig_pr_nwkitchenette.jpg

We offered them the main house kitchen if they wanted (this listing is half of our house so it's all connected), but also have suggested amazing local cafes for breakfast. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Gillian166 I've seen people cook bacon and eggs in a microwave but I would definitely not recommend it, especially if you're surrounded by such delicious alternatives!

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sybe  yes I did consider that, but how gross! Also, you'll notice we have the micro on a low shelf, this is not an accident, haha. We are not encouraging its use. We are fine with guests using our big kitchen in the house, at least it's set up for making a mess and easy to clean, and we won't have cooked food odours in the guest suite. 

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

I had a acting company for a weekend after the Covid lockdown and they asked if they could rehearse their play in the garden. I said yes.

At their check-out, they told me that the police had come.

There was a scene in the play that was apparently a domestic dispute and our neighbour thought it was for real! The policemen had a good time with them after that.

I was lucky enough, the neighbour didn't call Airbnb!! 

I should have asked what was the title of the play and the subject...

They were very nice folks and enjoyed their stay even with the police event.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)

I had a similar instance when  a filming crew booked my little cabin by a lake.  But they asked us to inform the neighbors that there might be screaming and yelling and please do not call the police....

@Sybe 

Normally our guests are very self contained, as we are waaaay out in the mountains.....

We once had an overnight guest give us a short-notice request that we make a rose petal trail from the (shared) entrance through the house and hallways to the bed in the guest suite; cover the bed with them and provide champagne. Clearly it was expected this service to be included in the night's fee, and to be fresh and lovely. I had to explain that it was a one and one half hour trip to town to buy fresh roses, if they were available (at any price) and since we do not use alcohol we'd not know what he would prefer to drink. Could he please bring his own beverages, or have his preference of beverage and flowers sent ahead to us by delivery service?  Neither option was acceptable to him, so he cancelled the stay. It was a fun idea, but not workable, especially given the short notice. Unfortunately, better suited to a 5 star hotel with concierge service, an in-house restaurant/bar and a nearby florist.  

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Kitty-and-Creek0 That sounds like this guest was planning a romantic getaway! A sweet request indeed but if it's not feasible it may be a better idea to look for different accommodation where this would be possible. I rarely drink alcohol myself as well so I can imagine it's difficult to find out what kind of champagne the guest prefers.

-----

@Sybe 

It was indeed going to be sweet and romantic, and we wish it had been practical. The solution of course was for him to send flowers via delivery service, which is easy and available at the very last minute, which was where it stood, with his request. With more time and some payment for the roses, it would have been fun for us to make this happen. It was finally clear that the guest had no clue how remote we are, and that the romantic dinner to follow was another logistical item he'd not thought out. We sent our sincere regrets and suggested either a location in town or a different date with lead time for making it happen. Such sweet people! 

the most unusual thing a guests has asked me was to scatter rose petals from the front door to the bed.  I did it and I made them a little heartshaped pillow with their initials like we did in school....  ie:  r t + g m = love

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That sounds adorable @Carolyn807 ! How did the guests respond to that afterwards?

-----

The funny thing is. I expected a young, newlywed couple.  But these 2 were in their 40' s and had been married several years

They were very appreciative and left me with 3 containers of silk rose petals,  which I have used with other guests looking for a romantic getaway