What to say in a public review about a guest with many complaints during her stay?

Karen887
Level 2
Olney, MD

What to say in a public review about a guest with many complaints during her stay?

I recently hosted a guest who contacted me immediately upon checking in to say the floors were dirty.  I wrote back right away and offered to have the cleaning crew return and re-clean the house.  She never responded.  A few days later, the night prior to checking out, she wrote me a lengthy message complaining about virtually everything in the house - the cleanliness, the furniture, the curtains, the trash service, the appliances, etc.  Honestly, her criticisms were not totally off base as there is always room for improvement, but the really the house is fine, clean, and updated.  I have been getting solid 5-star ratings (with a rare 4) for three years and she is the first unhappy guest. I thanked her for her feedback and said I wished she had taken me up on my offer to have the house re-cleaned as it might have made her stay more enjoyable. 

She left me feedback, but I want to make sure I say the right thing in my public feedback about her that doesn't make me look crazy or vindictive but makes it clear to other hosts that she is trouble. She left a lot of negative feedback for a previous host so I'm bracing myself for what she said about me.  I was thinking of "This guest felt very free to provide me with lots of interesting feedback on my home."  or "felt very comfortable sharing her thoughts on the house with me."   Then I plan to leave more specific information, if necessary, in my host's response to her comments about my listing.   At that point, I'll use the "this guest might be happier at a 5-star hotel than at an Airbnb" approach. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I'd be short as possible in your reply to her nasty review-Regret that she didn't take advantage of your offer to re-clean the place upon her arrival and waited until the end of her stay to express her dissatisfaction with the listing & give her the better suited to a 5* hotel in your review of her, best Sally

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I would write something along the lines of “the guest had a lengthy list of complaints at departure without giving me a chance to remedy however that seems to be a pattern for all her stays looking at feedback left for others”.  I would not mention anything more specific. Saying she did not let you reclean to me would be admission of guild- you admit it was dirty.