Will changing my cancellation policy affect bookings?

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

Will changing my cancellation policy affect bookings?

I'd like to change my cancellation policty to strict from moderate, but I'm worried it will chase away potential bookings. Has that been anyone else's experience? My inclination is that if they are actually serious about booking to begin with, it won't really matter.

16 Replies 16

I am considering changing it because I've had a few cancel a very short time before the scheduled arrival, after having had them tie up my calendar for more than a month or so (I'm new). The last one was for a 2 week booking starting on the 31st and there is no way I could rebook New Year's Eve in such a short time frame. They got all their money back and I lost out on a very lucrative booking night and got zero compensation for it and now I have the next 2 weeks empty when I could have had them booked or at least got something for it. I'm quickly tiring of the flakes. 😞

Like my idea

I don't know who suggested this amzing policy.

Case 1: A guest book a night 10$, some problems he cancel it, then I must pay 50$ for airbnb due to cancelation fee. If I knew this policy, I just lost 15% of 10$ if i don't accept guest's cancelation.

Case 2: A guest book a month 400$, he stayed 4 days then cancel it, I lost 400$ and I must pay more 200$(a half month) for Airbnb.

Crazy. Hosters earn money for Airbnb but they don't  protect us and take our money!

I'm worry now when I sale rooms on Airbnb because I can lost a lot money by this policy!

Where can I suggest Airbnb change this?

What do you think my colleages-hosters?

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]