scam November 2021

scam November 2021

Hi community of hosts,

I just had this type of new scam today. Reported the users and filed the case, but still would like to share with you all. 

I received an inquiry for stay of 4 days for 2 people around Christmas, and the user name was Rebeca. She said her husband and she were visiting spending Christmas in our place. She was wondering how come the listing was published twice and wondering which one to use. She attached a link for me. I, in order to help her, clicked the link, and it took me to an Airbnb-like website but late I noticed the web address was different than realgar ANB's. After I clicked, it asked me to log in by putting username and password. I almost did, and I just double clicked the blank space assuming my lap top would pop in the info automatically, which it always does if it remembers the log in info. But my laptop did not show the log in info, and I was skeptical but still would like to help the guest. I told her I could not see the double listing here, and she never said anything back, went silent. 

After 5 minutes, another user called Elena sending me the exact same inquiry to my other listing, and has question about double listing with the same fishy link! Everything was the same!  I knew it was a scam! I asked Elena to contact ANB for further info. She went silent like dead. Of course, I declined and reported her. 

I reported to ANB these two users. These two accounts only had phone number as verified shown on their profile, nothing else. (Normally for users like this,  I would ask for ID proof upon check in if ID was not vetted by ANB). They are both newly joined this month, no reviews, nothing. Obviously, their goal is for the hosts to click the fake ANB website link with log in info so later they can snatch the log in credentials and do lots of bad things! I am very upset with it. I reported them, I also wanted to share it here to alarm our host friends! Watch out for these evildoers. 

9 Replies 9
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Shawn602, thanks for the warning. It looks like someone might have 'stolen' your listing and created their own with it. Check out this article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jun/04/travellers-fake-airbnb-scam.

I haven't heard the one about the scammers pretending to be guests to get you to log in. It's possible that they were real and had been scammed as well. But I can see your concern about you logging into the fake site, which then gives the scammers your login details to the real Airbnb listing. Well spotted! I'm not sure what they would do then (mainly because I haven't got a scammer's brain), but it sounds like you've definitely dodged a bullet. Good luck with it and please do keep us posted.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Here's another article, which goes into great detail about the elaborate Airbnb scams being foisted onto people: https://www.vice.com/en/article/43k7z3/nationwide-fake-host-scam-on-airbnb

I suspect the people who've set up the fake listing in your case will receive bookings and payments from people, who will then turn up to your place with no booking of course. I'm still not convinced that the people who contacted you were the scammers, but I think you were right to decline them just in case.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shawn602 @Kath9  This is a known scam that has been  reported here before. And yes, the person who sends that inquiry is part of the scam.

Shawn, if you haven't already, you need to change your password asap. I think they can gain aaccess to your acct. simply by you having clicked on the link.

Check all your payout info, etc. Make sure nothing has been changed.

And never click on a link a guest sends.

Thank you, both, for the advice. We reported this to Airbnb, are changing password, and will contact the bank as well. This is really upsetting. I hope they get caught and learn the lesson. 

Aleksandra204
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I am new to hosting and found your warning very helpful. Thank you very much 🌺

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We occasionally receive inquiries requesting "more photos" or "higher resolution photos". I always decline and report them. If the 30+ photos on the listing aren't good enough, then we're not the right solution for you.

They sometimes can be rather persuasive, so just end it instantly and report them. Ignore any further excuses.

Never, ever send raw photos to anyone. They're just planning to replicate your listing on Airbnb or another platform. It's a very common scam. 

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Thank you for sharing this. Once someone gets into your account, there is so much info they can access. 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Shawn602 
Thank you for sharing this. I will mention this in the Dutch part of the community

Bing53
Level 2
Canmore, Canada

Thank you for sharing this. I will let my host friends know that.