what recourse do we have when people smoke in our very clearly stated non smoking household

Margee0
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

what recourse do we have when people smoke in our very clearly stated non smoking household

I have a strongly stated no smoking policy in my little air bnb's both in the listing and in the home.  On multiple occasions I have walked in after guests have left and thought, " gee it smells like cigarettes in here," and sure enough as I take the trash out I see cigarette butts or boxes.  The only thing I know to do is give the guest a less than perfect rating but is there any other recourse?

3 Replies 3
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Margee0, if you have a Security Deposit in place, one strategy might be to state clearly in your House Rules that if a guest violates the No-smoking rule, an amount of money will be claimed against the Security Deposit. This amount could be equal to the cost of dry-cleaning soft furnishings (e.g. curtains, sofa covers, etc.) and using special methods if necessary to ensure that bed linen, towels, and carpets are odour-free. 

If you find butts, etc., be sure to take photos of them to substantiate your claim. 

Another strategy would be to state that if guests - while on the premises - are found to be smoking or to have smoked - you will ask AirBnB to cancel the booking and to rehouse the guests. 

I imagine other hosts here can offer tips as well. 

You recommend to cancel the booking and have Airbnb rehouse the guests. Please explain how this is done. I had tenants who smoked despite the house rules and had loud parties into the night. I got lots of complaints from my neighbors but how could have physically expelled them without a court order? 

That is a great idea.  Have you done this yourself?  PS  I notice you are from the Netherlands.... My son and girlfriend and another singer/musician are heading your way in a couple of weeks for a month long tour.  they are all singer/songwriters.