where is the "Permit / Tax ID" field?

Andy6
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

where is the "Permit / Tax ID" field?

I'm a host in San Francisco and I've just received my Short-Term Rental registration number, which I'm required to post on my listing page. I'd like to add it to the "Permit / Tax ID" field in the "Prices" section as seen on this listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/937842?checkin=02%2F05%2F2016&checkout=02%2F07%2F2016&guests=2&s=_jxX9w...

However, when I click "edit listing" I cannot find this field in the "Pricing" section, the "Terms" section, or any of the other dozen sections I have the ability to edit.  This isn't the first time I've been completely baffled by mis-mappings between the host form entry and management UI and the actual live site listing UI.  Obviously the 2005 notion of WYSIWIG editing hasn't quite made its way into the Airbnb Product and UXD teams.

Any suggestions for where this "Permit / Tax ID" field is hiding or how to activate it so that I may populate it?  Thanks in advance.

-Andy 

18 Replies 18
Andy6
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

additionally: due to Airbnb's overzealous number obfuscation system, it is literally not possible to include the short-term rental registration number in the body of the description, since this is how it renders on the site:

SAN FRANCISCO SHORT-TERM RESIDENTIAL RENTAL REGISTRATION NUMBER: STR-(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)

I am required by law to display this number so I either need (a) a field where I can enter the number or (b) a method for overriding Airbnb's inane text obfuscation system.

I have the same problem. I have a license number that I cannot show. On my flipkey site it is shown right under the property details.

I just tried entering my registration number yet again and if I omit the four leading zeros I can post it at the top of the section "The Space".

I found the same problem, after search forever to find the field and entering it in the box, it's redacted by Airbnb's overzealous anti-fraud technology. Eek - I can't believe this problem has been going on so long.

i am having the exact same issue. help.

Andy6
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I got a response from an Airbnb person via their facebook page: the "Permit / Tax ID" field is managed in the "Location" section.  Really, "Location"?  So this means that "Prices" portion of the front-end is fed from (at least) three sections in the CMS: "Pricing", "Terms", and "Location".  Beyond the misleading labeling of the CMS sections and the data they contain, it also doesn't seem like the CMS and front-end site teams are in sync at all, so these data management acrobatics and research projects are forced upon users.  Get it together Airbnb!  Competition will come a-knockin' if you subject users to a rickety platform for too long...

I just checked out the "Location" tab on my listing. There is no space to put in my license number. All that is mentioned there is that a host must comply with local laws. That's it.

Thanks for positing this answer. I had the same issue up here in Portland. Your instructions solved it for me. Thanks!

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andy6 Why don't you post a screenshot of the number along with your photos? That way it can't be blocked and you're fulfilling your local duty.

@Lisa7 that's a great idea.  After saturating my social network with this question this afternoon I did eventually figure out how to edit the "Permit / Tax ID" field (for me it was in the "Location" section, same page as the map but below the fold and out of sight), so I think I have myself covered.  It sounds like that "Permit / Tax ID" field isn't in the same place when @Monica4 edits her host listing, maybe due to regional differences (I guess information in the "Location" section would vary from place to place - though you'd think a section called "Location" would deal with, ya know, LOCATION - not "Location + Legal compliance").

But a screen shot with the id displayed seems like a great workaround for folks who can't find a data field to enter their legal registration info into.

Obviously Airbnb is pretty keen to prevent the direct exchange of phone numbers, website URLs, email addresses and such via host listings, so I'm sure IN GENERAL I'm sure they do what they can to prevent numbers/addresses/etc from being posted in photos... but I suspect they wouldn't aggressively remove photos of *compliance codes*.  But who knows, maybe they have bots that indiscriminately remove photos that display numbers.  Would be worth a shot if there were no other option.

Thousands of Airbnb hosts must be dealing with this issue in cities all over the world.  I'm really surprised there isn't a more straight-forward, generic workflow that guides hosts thru legal compliance and data entry of required registration info.  Maybe the SF STR registration codes are especially tricky because they are 7 digits and resemble local phone numbers?  

All in all, way too much user effort to do something basic (and legally mandatory).  But hey, no ever said Airbnb was the iPhone when it came to intuitive usability.

I just got my permit # and found this post after searching and searching and searching my listing. However, I don't see any option in the "Location" section to enter the permit #. I've scrolled all the way to the bottom of the section and it's simply not there. Any ideas?

I have discovered, via calling Airbnb's customer service number (and much trial and error), that San Francisco Short-Term Rental Registration Certificate numbers now get entered as text in the "Detailed description" field, under "Other things to note". It appears you must type in both the certificate number and the disclaimer that comes with the certificate at the beginning of this section, before emailing your page URL to the city.

Hey,

We are running into the same issue. I decided to put mine right under 'The Space' in Detailed Description, because I was concered the area "Other Things to Note' was not on the first page of the listing, and that was a requirment of the STR. I will report back if the STR office thinks its okay. So, bizarre they took away the permit number box! 

When you hover over the "Other things to note" box in the "Detailed Description" section, a "note" bubble appears on the right and it says to put your registration number here. Yes, it tooks me alomst an hour to find.  Jeez!