How do you use your hosting income?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you use your hosting income?

Hosting

Hello Everyone, 

Do you ever wonder how other hosts use the income they make from hosting? Perhaps to travel the world or maybe getting that garden shed they have always wanted! 🙂

Tell us how you have benefited from hosting and we will feature some of the responses in the Host Newsletter. 

Looking forward to seeing your replies.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

123 Replies 123
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Spending all my money renovating my house! The first year without Air, but a couple of years with Air's financial help. Still working on it but very slowly, on days I am not booked. As an example, I have gone from this:

reno10.jpg

to this:

Bedroom 1.jpg

and from this:

reno kitchen 3.jpg

to this:

Kitchen 2.jpg

Thanks.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sandra126,

Wow the transformation is wonderful. You must be so pleased with the end result. 🙂

Do you find your guests are generally interested in your renovation project? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Absolutely. Not everyone is, but many guests have their own projects at home, or want to do things to their homes without knowing how ot what. My renovations are quite unusual in my approach to recycled materials etc, and sometimes guests tell me they have taken ideas with them home. They often ask lots of questions too. Am nearly finished, only have one area still to go, and then I don't know how I will spend my time and money!

My price has been sliding up as the house has been getting better, started much much lower. It has been a great way to combine working on the house with renting it out at the same time in order to finance it.

Guests don't walk into a building site, it all looks quite normal until they check out and then hectic activity takes place until new guests arrive!

Gorgeous!! Can you do my apartment? haha

Oh my goodness! How much do you charge that you are able to earn enough money to make such extensive (and beautiful) renovations?

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm sure like many other hosts I pay the mortgage! I also like to travel myself and give back and keep the AirBnb economy humming. I know other hosts like hosting hosts. I do!!!
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Each time I plan on saving my "extra" Airbnb money something brokes, and I need to repair it.  Thus far, repair soffit from hurricane rains, broken garage door, broken guest bed, purchase individual a/c units for guest rooms because my air handler blower fan is not repairable and now need new furnace and ductwork. It just keeps coming -- we would be completely doomed without renting our extra rooms thru Airbnb - has been a God send. 

hahaha, similar here, I don't even notice I have an extra income 🙂 it just goes on everyday expenses...

Yes, us too.  We spent 18 months remodeling and spending money to make our place extra special - and it worked!  So, now we're using the income to pay off those bills.  Airbnb has been a Godsend in numerous ways for us.

Stephanie65
Level 2
Mountain View, CA

I bought an air conditioner for my place so that it would be more comfortable and rentable for guests. The increased electric bill is also paid from the revenue.

Hello Stepfanie  !!

Do you remember me ?  our name Co Hoa Homestay ! Nice to meet you again !! 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Most of it I use to pay off debt I'd been carrying from my home remodeling ("The Money Pit". Gotta love old houses!)

15% I use for little upgrades guests mention (new AC unit in one bedroom, improved wi-fi system)

And $25 from each stay goes into my own travel fund.

I love that you save a portion for your own travel!!

Hi Jenifer ! I'm Co Hoa (flower grass) from Hoi An - Viet Nam , nice to meet you