Is there any other payment method for South Africa?

Sabine3
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Is there any other payment method for South Africa?

Please can someone hosting in South Africa advise me on what is the most cost effective payment method to choose now that direct payments are no longer allowed. At the moment I am being charged R100 per transaction which is almost half of the room rental for one night.

Thank you Sabine

85 Replies 85

lizy , you seem able to answer ? why dont you furnish us with your personal details ,, bank account details etc so that we can verify who you are . con artists have many faces . on exchange4free web was a cell number to verify things and a black dude answered the call with a "yo" . if you are affiliated with airbnb then prove this to us and not on a copy paste letterhead but via a tracable airbnb e mail . until then you are regarded as one of exchange4free staff

exchange4free is a con and they copy and paste logos to try convince us they are for real .

airbnb recieved payment from our clients and are therefore responsible for our payments into our agreed method of payment . they can sort the cons out but we want our money from them .

my legal team are working on this and i will advise how things go .

DONT FILL OUT ANY FORM FROM EXCHANGE4FREE

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mark194,

Thanks for getting back about this. To introduce myself, my name is Lizzie and I am the Online Community Manager here in the English speaking Community Center.

Airbnb can now provide hosts in South Africa an opportunity to receive payouts locally without paying fees. I thought it might be useful to provide some images of the email that were sent out which provide more of an overview of how it works and a screenshot of 'Payment Preferences':

Email

Payout

I hope this is provides you with a little more information. 

Speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Liz20
Level 2
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom

I have just received this email from Airb&b

Lyka C., Nov 7, 11:43 CST:

Dear Liz,

Thank you for contacting us about the messages you received—I’m so sorry to hear that you had this experience. I’ve forwarded this issue to our Trust and Safety team for further investigation.

Please do not communicate with Exchange4free anymore. If you were in contact with Exchange4free, we recommend changing the password for both your email account and your Airbnb account immediately. Exchanging contact information without an accepted reservation isn’t safe practice, as it can expose you to online fraud. For more information and tips on how you can stay safe online, visit our Help Center: www.airbnb.com/help/article/501

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns—we’re always happy to help!

Best regards,

Lyka C.

www.airbnb.com/help

Sune0
Level 2
Hermanus, South Africa

hi Mark

Have you received any response regarding payout of your money?  Please advise.

Upasna0
Level 2
Tongaat, South Africa

Hi Mark, I am new to Air bnb and received an email from "exchange4free" yesterday. What do I do? Will I receive my payout? Is that a scam? Who should I report it to? Kind regards Upasns Singh, if possible then may I please xontcon you for further information regarding this? 

Jan105
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

This is a very interesting topic. I have been doing airbnb for the past 3 years. With the change of payment options I just excepted the R100 transfer fees. However with filing my tax returns this has become a problem since I could not find a certificate to file these deductions. After a call to my bank, Standardbank I was informed that the money goes via ABSA and they deducted the R100. According to Standardbank ABSA is suppose to transfer the money without deductions. Standardbank sent a query to ABSA to release the outstanding money. This all seems very sinister to me. I am waiting to see what happens. Meanwhile I am unable to finalise my tax return as I cannot get any certificate of this money being deducted. I am not an ABSA client and Standardbank cannot provide a certificate since they did not deduct the money. If it is indeed a case of ABSA deducting the money without warrent then this is a major problem.

Sune0
Level 2
Hermanus, South Africa

hi Jan

Are you a client of Standard Bank? And have you received your payout?

Hi All

Has anyone else received a mail from exchange4you regarding payouts? Has there been a change in payouts? One week payouts were per normal through FNB and next booking changed. Battling to get paid

Sandra271
Level 2
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

In order to receive payment my bank is asking for 

Western Union MTCN

What do I put there? 

Vera59
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi All, I have signed the Exchange4free document and received bank transfer payments for 10 days without any problems.

Now, I am missing one payement and the other payment my bank (FNB) is now asking me to do a Forex and is telling me that there is a international transaction waiting for me to be processed.

What do I have to do? And why did it work for 10 days without any problems and is giving me problems now?

Anyone having similar problems and can tell me what to do? 

Thanks

Vera

Hi All, I'm also new to hosting on airbnb.  I have signed up with exchange4free and have received payments made by South African guests within a couple of days. 

The e-mail they sent me has the following at the bottom...

Exchange4free is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the United Kingdom under the payment services regulations 2009, and is an authorised financial services provider regulated by the Financial Services Board (FSB) in South Africa. 

Had no such luck with international guests.   I've phone the call centre and they keep telling me that my name is not on their payments list for today....same story everyday for a week.  Can someone please tell me how long it takes for international transfers to clear.  Payout method is Bank Transfer.  I bank with ABSA. Thanks

Sune0
Level 2
Hermanus, South Africa

hi Vera

I've experienced exactly the same thing: all payments went through, now all of a sudden one payment is missing, and one payment I need to clear with a BoP form through my bank, Investec... very strange indeed!

Rene6
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi guys I am also qquite frantic. Airbnb sent me a payout of over R4000 on the morning of 30 Dec yet and it StILL has not arrived in my new Capitec account. Capitec Forex now wants the SWIFT message. I asked Airbnb to furnish everything needed and they sent me some pdf stating proof of payment but Capitec says this won't help them. And another week has passed it's weekend again. This is making me want to leave Airbnb. Getting hold of Airbn is also extrremely difficult. Between the banks, Sars and Airbnb, one cannot win.

Lyn31
Level 2
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Hi All

I have had no problem with payments. I elected the payment to my bank account (Investec) and I had to complete the SA Reserve Bank (SARS) form once a year, which I did and my money arrives in my bank account within a day or 2 of payout. I also don't seem to be charged any fees for this. I'm not sure if this will get charged at a later stage, but I doubt it.

Hope that helps.