โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ For The Birds and Nature Lovers! โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ For The Birds and Nature Lovers! โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Hi,  this is Kitty from the mountains and vast wilderness of Mendocino County, California. I have a Host Group called For the Birds which has a lovely internationsl membership sharing birding hot spots and news from all over.

We are lifelong birding enthusiasts, love observing wildlife of all kinds, and have traveled all over with our binoculars, cameras and scopes. I'd love to bring this sharing topic to our new forum, making a place where we can continue to chat about wildlife and wilderness, birds, bears, etc, that are where we all live and host.

For example, there are massive migrations of birds now in our region, and whales off our coast. Our oak trees have shed a bumper crop of huge acorns, which feed everyone who lives in these mountains and forests. How terrific is that?

Please join me in sharing what natural wonders are where you live and host!

Kitty

16 Replies 16
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I donโ€™t post much these days and got my post swallowed for not signing in first. ๐Ÿฅฒ 

Iโ€™m happy here and close to my roots (not geographically as my family home is about 2000 km away, but I found something similar). Lots of nature around plus the ocean and a river estuary, which is a bird paradise. 
I put water on the table since the drought this summer and the birds come for a drink. More for convenience now, as there is frequent rain or at least a drizzle over night. 
they donโ€™t bathe in it though. I believe they all fly to the river to bathe. It follows the tides, flood will come in and fill it, but at low tide itโ€™s sweet water, low water level and sand banks for convenient bathing. Birds, dogs and some kids use the spots, even in the town center. 
the climate is mild, we have a microclimate where it rarely freezes and palm trees grow in town. 
i did not spot a fox yet, the strii of forest would be too small for them. But there are many cats around, that people feed. I donโ€™t, but they catch mice in my garden as well. So far no birds - the magpies scold them when they cross through, may even hop close and seem to tell them a lot of insults, what the cats ignore. But it warns the smaller birds. 

@Helga0 

Congratulations, and good work! You've found a sweet place to be, with such variety of habitats for both you and the wildlife. 

I love that the magpies scold the cats. Domestic cats, both pets and feral, are a major cause of songbird deaths, worldwide. It is just the nature of cats to hunt. Our Stellar's Jays watch over the whole area, and they gang up on predators. They have a special call that they make in unison, which sounds exactly like "cat!cat!cat!" They keep it up until the predator leaves. Our trail cameras in the forest show us the same behavior, especially with the bobcats passing through. Those Jays don't miss a thing! 

A wonderful weekend to you!

Kitty