Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

Luke52
Level 1
Washington, DC

Problem with guests and August Smart Lock

I have been using the August Smart lock for a few months now, and on paper, it's been great. 

However, more often than not, guests show up at my door without having downloaded the app, much less created an account. August sends an email to all of my guests, but the majority tell me they've never seen it.

As a result, I'm left to guide them through the process of app installation and set up after letting them in. Not a HUGE problem. But, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smart lock. 

What have you guys done to encourage your guests to "come prepared". 

70 Replies 70
Joel71
Level 2
Washington, DC

I installed a Yale Assure lock about a year ago that includes the August app. It integrates with Airbnb so that each guest automatically receives a unique entry code and they don’t need to use the (crappy) August app.

Unfortunately, it’s completely unreliable: after about 11 months I started getting reports from guests that their code had stopped working in the middle of their stay (sometimes in the middle of the night!).

August Support can barely communicate in written English and is of no help. 

Basically, it’s so unreliable that I’m back to using a lockbox and physical key. 

The Yale hardware, I should say, is fine. But everything related to August is buggy and terrible.

Don’t do it. 

Pablo1095
Level 2
México D.F., Mexico

Hi everyone! I’m surprised by the bad reviews for the August Lock.. I’ve been using it for years and it’s worked great! Not a single guest has downloaded the app, I use the integration to automatically generate the codes that August sends to the guests, and they simply dial their code to enter.

The only issue is that occasionally the guests don’t receive their code, so I open the app, look for their already generated code and give text it to them.. 

I would really recommend everyone to use August on their Airbnb as long as they have a WiFi bridge and keypad. 

We still haven't had any issues with our app, in fact guests love it.  We decided not to use the keypad because they have issues and not to mention GERMS. I also like that we can remotely access the doors for packages and service people, the other you have to give out individual codes. 
You have to find a system that works for you and your business.

I hate that people have to conform to the technical demands of today. I thought technology was supposed to make things easy....now our phones are bombarded with apps bogging down the space making phones sluggish. Why are we expected to download an app that may or may not have bugs and hope our phone works just to get into a place we paid good money for?! Elders won't conform and they shouldn't have to. Just give us a **bleep** old fashioned key!!!

So you want people to open up their homes and rely on people not to make copies of your keys, not to lose your keys and to hand the same germ-filled  keys that has passed through multiple hands?? Or to a pay a crap load of money rekeying after every guests checks out? Yes the “old fashion “ way would be great maybe 35 years ago, but we are living in a totally different world and it’s not getting nicer at all.

Technology is great when it's minimal and no more complicated than necessary. In this case, a keypad entry is a much simpler solution than an app invading one's phone.

Unnecessarily closed, opaque, obfuscated bloatware is not the solution.  I just checked how many permissions this app needed, and can't see why they are necessary let alone have the app on my phone in the first place.

Kelsey274
Level 2
Albany, GA

I write a reminder to pre-download the app before check-in. I also look for their account on the august app to see if they have made one. As for using a keypad, I found my keypad died very quickly and without warning. 

James3466
Level 1
Washington, DC

One of my bigger complaints is that August auto-generates a different code for the front and back door locks. So my guests are always confused (rightfully so). And the app bugs when I try to create a new code for guests using both locks.

Human tech support has been awful to get ahold of from August. Anyone have a recommended contact method to reach their tech support over voice?

I have the same issue on my 2 locks. Only saves the code to one door. 

Hi James 

We have not had any problems connecting with them, in fact it is a lot easier contacting them than Airbnb.

We never used the pin code even though we initially set it up with the system but it never worked, fortunately for us we purchased the smart lock and doorbell cam at the same time and that has worked great for us since 2017 at our vacation rentals. Of course we upgraded a few times because technology changes. I make sure our guests fill out their August profile with a current picture of their face only and they MUST have a verified ABNB account (we also make sure the guest itinerary is filled out & if the guests wants access to the smart lock then their account must be verified through Airbnb before gaining that access into our homes)

We know each time a guest locks and unlocks the door or occasionally leaves without locking the door which happens then we contact the guest to informed them that we are locking the door for them unless they want to be responsible for theft due to them not locking the door.

My suggestion is to use the app instead of the pin code, you have less problems and more control of your front door.

Kami2
Level 2
Southlake, TX

We have found the easier way to do it is to have the system generate a code for each guest and then allow the guests to have the code access. Downloading the app and creating an account is a real pain for the guests.