AIRBNB WITHOLDING THOUSANDS OF $$$ IN PAYOUTS

AIRBNB WITHOLDING THOUSANDS OF $$$ IN PAYOUTS

It's been three weeks since Airbnb has withheld our payouts for two of our short-term rental properties in New Brunswick.

We've updated the tax forms, KYC forms, switched primary hosts and called Airbnb customer support almost every single day with no concrete answers or solutions. Their "support ambassadors" and "special teams" kept giving vague explanations, empty promises, and ended each call as they "needed more time to look into the matter" and "would call me back".

We are full-time real estate investors relying on STR income for these two particular properties to cover the mortgage, cleaners, utilities, property managers, and other recurring bills. Over these three weeks, we were honored to have hosted refugees from Ukraine, new immigrants from Africa, a group of groomsmen and groom having a "boys' retreat", and newcomers moving to the Maritimes from other Canadian provinces. The payouts were, unfortunately, withheld from Airbnb.

I later found out that a handful of Airbnb hosts in my network experienced the same issue with no end in sight. They owe us $8400+, but for one particular host, $250k+ of frozen payouts. Anyone else having the same issue? 

@Airbnb How am I supposed to pay my mortgage? How am I supposed to pay my cleaners & staff who all rely on this income? How are you planning on resolving this situation before we take legal action??
19 Replies 19
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jiayu6, I'm very sorry to hear that this has still not been resolved. Sadly, I can't look into the specific reasons as I'm not part of the customer service team, however, let me pass this on to the team. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Harry67
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this issue. We have not had a payout since 3rd November 2022 and we also get the same story. We're now owed circa £40,000 with no end in sight. 

We too have financial obligations to meet and it is causing a huge amount of stress for us. We call and message Airbnb regularly and they have nothing to tell me.

I'm beyond shocked at how a big global company like this can treat hosts like this. I reached out to a larger competitor in London who have 1,000+ properties and they too have had the same issues with them in the past. They've now moved most of their rentals away from Airbnb because of this. 

We feel helpless

@Jiayu6 @Harry67 

Thats serious stuff I do wish airbnb would stop this, I can understand the lack of communication is a big problem,

This could be a problem for anyone of us, at the end of the day we are all in business and no business can survive without money.

Right now I only have one property on airbnb but I have setup other options should this happen to us, 

I do hope you can resolve this, 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Harry67 Really sorry to hear you're having some issues with recent payouts! I've nudged the team for you about this, if I get more info back I'll let you know here. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Harry67
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Emilie

I really hope that works. I've been waiting for 21 days with no progress. It is paralysing my business and I'm losing a lot of sleep over this.

I spoke to one of the team again yesterday and they said they can see the pay-outs team have looked at my case a while ago but haven't done anything since. 

I do hope your 'nudge' helps to resolve this issue quickly. Otherwise, we will have to seek alternative temporary funding at a high interest rate to keep our business operating.

Best wishes,

Harry
House of Kip

I am also very concern about this people robing me of 9000 US  of tax withholdings if you get any answers please let me know so far at least 20 messages saying an agent will contact you and nothing meanwhile I am having to subsidize my group of 14 guest out of my pocket because what they payed out is not enough.

please let me know if you do Airbnb has also done me wrong withholding almost 9000 US for Mexican taxes I am having to pay for my guest to vacation in my villa

I feel helpless too withholding almost 9000 US is a lot of money were you able to talk to anyone?

Same thing happens to us. It’s been a week and $40k withheld. Has your issue been resolved?

Airbnb has also robed me of  almost 9000 US is there a legal department we can contact

Janet1299
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

Airbnb might as well come rob me with a hand gun in hand. Airbnb just withheld almost 9000 US dollars for Mexican Tax withholding.

What they don't know or care to know  is my tax reports  to all 3 countries  and that I am not just a rental I am an all inclusive family resort where we offer all 3 meals excursions even massage to our all inclusive guest. Our current guest  family of 14 payed over 24,000 US to stay with us over New Years  holiday on an all inclusive week, but on  pay out day Airbnb withheld this 9000 US  in Mexican Taxes plus their regular fees, what they don't know is that of the $14,000 US they only deposited from the 24K  reservation I have to pay my global earnings to the US and Canadian government  (30%)  plus I have to pay 15-30  on site staff to carry on our all inclusive New Years week and honour the reservation our guest made for 24,000 US,   I am now  stuck paying  for all 3  meals for the 14 guest currently with us , tours, massages,  hosts concierge airport transfers  and so much more.  The $9,000 deduction Airbnb has robed me off without any notice and deliberately from my reservation that is NOT only  for lodging  I now end up paying for a 14 guest to come vacation in my very fine  12 bedroom beach front villa that cost me an arm and a leg to maintain,  on our high season.  So now we end up  paying  out of our own  pocket for this individuals to stay and have a swell vacation... Nobody has gotten  back to me with any  answers this people have absolutely all of my tax information from all 3 countries  (Mexico, Canada and US) and they still went ahead and robbed me of  9000 US. I  do not know who has to hear this but I will not stop until their theft department contacts me and gives me straight answers other than their over polite agents that just keep sending me articles  to read on tax withholdings but no answers on them not following up once we did all of what  their stupid articles say  with their  tax requests and their vain promise not to withhold taxes.

The freedom corporations are starting to get on having a saying on your fiscal matters is scary and wrong.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Janet1299 ,

This must have been very frustrating for you! I have checked in with the concerned team if they can provide you with any information about this matter. I hope they get back to you soon.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

thank you Bhumika they are just contradicting themselves, they did they would not with Olea it after I submitted my tax info in July but now what they are saying is they my current guest made the reservation n February and because I submitted my tax information in July I don’t get my 9000 dollars 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

  

And we all know that’s bull**bleep** Airbnb is robing people and they are not giving any proof of payment to the Mexican Government of almost 9000 US in taxes, outrageous and ridiculous